Has This GK's Rating Risen Unfairly?

A couple of minutes into the match, when everybody's ratings are 6.4/6.6, the opposition GK makes a good save, his first touch of the match. Damn, another one like that, or two fairly average saves, and he'll be "Playing With Confidence" for most of the game - and we all know what that means. ;)

Luckily my striker is flagged offside.

However, on checking the opposition ratings a few ingame minutes later his rating has risen to 6.8, despite him having done nothing since that save! Has he received this increase for some clever shouting at his defence or has he benefitted unfairly from the save that didn't count?

It is quite possible this is down to something hidden, a general feeling of well-being perhaps, but just in case it isn't, could someone from SI please confirm whether it is possible for a GK's rating to rise as the result of a good save made prior to a decision bringing the play back to a time before the save was made.*

*(sorry if the last sentence causes anyone else to get motion sickness)

Yeah, GK ratings are strange sometimes in 2012. It seems to me making several "fantastic" or "brilliant" saves in a match while not doing any obvious errors should be enough to get an above-average rating, but that isn't always the case.

A save that didn't count? That's a bit much. It's his job to keep the ball out of the net, and if the striker is shooting with intent, he should be attempting to save it too. I don't see a problem with a good save being counted in his performance even if it turns out to be not-required.

Would you prefer he acts like Barthez and just stands still when there is a potential offside?

A save that didn't count? That's a bit much. It's his job to keep the ball out of the net, and if the striker is shooting with intent, he should be attempting to save it too. I don't see a problem with a good save being counted in his performance even if it turns out to be not-required.

Would you prefer he acts like Barthez and just stands still when there is a potential offside?

Porthos, if this striker had scored a wonder goal it wouldn't have counted towards his rating, so I would hope that the save wouldn't count toward the GK's performance rating, as it happened after the offside occurred.

(This is from FM10, but I doubt things have been changed.)

deathspawn666, I watch all matches in full, the GK didn't touch the ball before making the "save that shouldn't count" and me spotting the rise in his rating.

Any one from SI care to enlighten me?

Porthos, if this striker had scored a wonder goal it wouldn't have counted towards his rating, so I would hope that the save wouldn't count toward the GK's performance rating, as it happened after the offside occurred.

(This is from FM10, but I doubt things have been changed.)

deathspawn666, I watch all matches in full, the GK didn't touch the ball before making the "save that shouldn't count" and me spotting the rise in his rating.

Any one from SI care to enlighten me?

He wasnt passing the ball or anything like that? Players ratings are taken from many different stats. I would think that for a keeper it would be save(obviously), passes, and defensive challenges/plays

I also notice that if the team as a whole is playing well the rating for most players will go up over time because of it. Maybe the players in front of him were playing so well his rating went up a bit as I am sure other players rating went up a little as well. A keeper does play a part in helping organize the defense.

He wasnt passing the ball or anything like that? Players ratings are taken from many different stats. I would think that for a keeper it would be save(obviously), passes, and defensive challenges/plays

I also notice that if the team as a whole is playing well the rating for most players will go up over time because of it. Maybe the players in front of him were playing so well his rating went up a bit as I am sure other players rating went up a little as well. A keeper does play a part in helping organize the defense.

This all happened during the first 4/5 ingame minutes. Kick-off>>GK never touches ball>>2 mins="save that shouldn't count">>GK never touches ball>>4/5mins="Rating goes from 6.6 to 6.8".

We had possession for nearly all that 4/5 mins (apart from the freekick and two midfield passes they didn't touch the ball) and no one else in his team had a rating over 6.6.

As I mentioned in the OP, unless the GK provided some inspiring shouts for his defence I don't see where the Rating's rise can have come from.

Archived