How do you deal with a players poor performance?

if they have had a run of bad games I have a chat.

If next game they perform badly, I put them in reserves, they complain, but I tell them they need to show me why they should be in the first team.

After 2 weeks, they are at their best again, scoring, creating or tackling.

I have never had a bad reaction and after the two weeks perform like they just started the season.

One game = nothing. We all have bad days, even computer people! If they go on a bad run I'll drop them for a couple of games. Never fined a player for poor performance that I can remember.

100 up woop woop!

I never fine my players for poor performances. I criticize them which usually leads to improved morale. High morale players train harder and play with more confidence. Break of discipline is another thing though, but I never go for a fine in the first time. A warning given does the job most of the time.

How do you deal with a players poor performance? Do you have a private chat or discipline the player? Also what are the advantages and disadvantages with both?

I use both features quite often.

If someone played badly and i feel he cost me the win i will fine him: 5.0-6.0 rating = 1 week wage, <5.0 rating = 2 weeks wage.

If someone's average rating for last five matches is <6.9 i have a private chat and tell him to pick himself up.

Last season my striker had an average rating of 6.6 for the last 5 games and then produced a 3.9 rating. i fined him 2 weeks wage and had a private chat where i warned him i would transfer list him if he didnt play better.

He gained a point in determination and played well again...i then sold him anyway :p

Yeah, a 6 from a player will see him told how disappointing he was, which most players handle well on my squad (very determined and professional). A loss against a team we should be beating, whether it was an unlucky 0-1 or whatever I will get angry with the players, and lock them in the dressing room for a bit of a tongue-lashing. But having to discipline a player or fine him for a poor performance, well, luckily the players rarely ever perform that poorly! If you aren't playing a 6 then you are subbed after 60 minutes, so it cuts down on players chance to REALLY stink it up :)

Warning for the first sub 6 performance, 1 week fine for the next and 2 week fine for any further sub 6 performances. I also have a private chat telling them how **** they are.

All of my players still love me though so it isn't working out too badly, and in reality I very rarely have to fine players as it isn't often that a player has two sub 6 performances over the course of a season. In fact in my last season I can't even remember warning a player. Got tantalisingly close to an invincibles season only to have Stoke of all teams screw it up in the 33rd game of the season. Stoke also ended our 3 season winning streak in the FA Cup so I am hoping to inflict some serious pain on them next season.

I like to let my boys know who the boss is. Average form gets a private chat but unacceptable performances often lead to fines. I have actually sold players who have performed badly and then complained to the media about the subsequent fine. Also if I choose to fine a player and he can't accept it he now plays for the reserves until I absolutely need him. No player is bigger than the club and it is important he knows that. My squad discipline bar is always at maximum.

Never fined a player either, but putting them in reserves for two weeks works a treat for me. One week is not enough, more than two weeks is over the top and after like I said they perform like they did at the start of the season. You will notice this more with strikers if they stop scoring, where before they were getting hattricks, they will again, I find it's like a reset.

I fine anyone who gets a 6.3 or below, even if we won the match.

If it's a home game it's a two week fine no matter what the rating was, if we were away it's 1 week for 6.0 - 6.3 and two weeks for 5.9 or below. Never had any player not back down even if they've kicked up a fuss afterwards, I don't get why so many people are afraid of fining their players.

Never fined a player either, but putting them in reserves for two weeks works a treat for me. One week is not enough, more than two weeks is over the top and after like I said they perform like they did at the start of the season. You will notice this more with strikers if they stop scoring, where before they were getting hattricks, they will again, I find it's like a reset.

In my experience players often take being dropped to reserves as badly as they do a fine. Only rarely will a player insist on being transfer listed and then they are dropped to reserves anyway and listed as not needed. Within a couple of months of the team continuing on without them they will come crawling back asking to be removed from the transfer list. If they are good enough and have performed in the reserves I may even give them the chance to redeem themselves. Even my best player will not be immune to my disciplinary methods.

In my experience players often take being dropped to reserves as badly as they do a fine. Only rarely will a player insist on being transfer listed and then they are dropped to reserves anyway and listed as not needed. Within a couple of months of the team continuing on without them they will come crawling back asking to be removed from the transfer list. If they are good enough and have performed in the reserves I may even give them the chance to redeem themselves. Even my best player will not be immune to my disciplinary methods.

I do have a private chat about previous performance and warn the player that a certain level is expected to remain in the main team.

If they perform badly again, put them straight into reserves.

Never had a bad reaction, They get concerned, so I have a chat and tell them to prove to me they deserve a spot in the main team. (assertively)

I usually get a reaction like - I enjoy a challenge - or - I will prove to you I deserve to be in the main team - .

Couple of weeks later I put them back in their position and they perform well again, like at the start of the season, regardless if the reserves played or not.

I actually fined someone last night for a poor game, for the first time ever in FM, i was livid with my most experienced striker playing a 5.2 in a champs league quarter final whilst his 19 year old partner played a 7. He didnt fall out with me at least!! One of the first times in a while i have properly raged at FM lol.

Archived