4-4-2 lacking in goals?

I am actually quite happy with my 4-4-2 set up in that my team is looking like a much more solid and cohesive unit rather than a bunch of individuals and i am conceding much less than i have done while using 4-5-1/4-3-3 set ups (even though i still love a good 5 man midfield) however i have noticed that my team tend to score much much less. My team has to really push just for one goal, 2 is very difficult. I guess it could be argued this is much more in tandom with real life rather than the 5/6 goal games that other formations seem to produce.

I just wondered if anyone has managed to have a good goalscoring 4-4-2 set up?

(oh and im playing as Leeds in championship, it could be down to a lack of quality)

with 442, you need good wingers (preferably ones who can defend as well as cross), a realy good box to box midfielder/playmaker and dm/DLP. if you have these it is a score machine with short passing. The main thing is your box to box, he needs to be able to defend, create, pass, long shots.

I prefer 433 but I have found 442 to be easily viable if you have the right players in midfield.

i found out that 442 is my nightmare and i use 2 forms of 451 in my tactics as 4231 and 41221.Its weird because ai 442 works as charms against my 451 wich doesnt make sence at all.Also when i met MU they are my bigest nightmare.

What instructions are you using?

its not about instructions and i think its just because my aml/amr dont track back leaving 2 wide players against 1 of mine offen>also i play atacking minded tactics wich increase space uncovered by my AML/AMR and wich can be easely explored by ai's fulbacks.

Snoddy on right, White on the left with Clayton in centre and Brown holding. Covert to classic, play attacking with normal, mixed. Use Snoddy as playmaker and play the ball in the air to Becchio. Its worked wonders for me mate.

Defence is weak at start so sign Jaager on a free at start. Awesome in Championship. Good luck. MOT!!!

Snoddy on right, White on the left with Clayton in centre and Brown holding. Covert to classic, play attacking with normal, mixed. Use Snoddy as playmaker and play the ball in the air to Becchio. Its worked wonders for me mate.

Defence is weak at start so sign Jaager on a free at start. Awesome in Championship. Good luck. MOT!!!

What you play your 2 front men as? Currently I have DLF and T or Poacher. I think that while this is offering help to my midfield and thus not conceding many it is harming my chances of scoring. Becchio just coming back from his 3 injury lol, hopefully get him fit and playing cause he is who i really wanna use. Ive got Stephen Dobbie on loan at the moment, been using him and mccormack but mccormack just broke his leg :(

442 can be very effective tactic but is a balanced tactic and being balanced u wont score mutch,but also u wont concede as much also.

Rubbish, an effective 4-4-2 is just as dangerous going forward as any formation.

I only use 4-4-2, with full backs on support duty, two fast tricky wingers on attack, and i dont really care about them defending so i just look for attack attributes, a ball winning mid on support and an advanced playmaker on attack, a poacher and a target man on support, balls to head for the target man and the advanced playmaker as the primary playmaker, i also use the overlap and play wider shouts for most home games or when im struggling to break teams down. With a good team a 4-4-2 is as good as they come for most situations.

I have used 4-4-2 in the past with Target Man and Poacher and i really like that set up some times, but i guess what im trying to achieve is my team really playing as a solid unit, im not bothered about scoring 3/4 a game.

Standard,fluid, wingers with attack duty and CM/defend and AP/support(attack against weaker sides) with either AF/T and a DLF or a TM on support. Fullbacks attack weaker sides and narrow formations. Stopper/cover combo at the back. Scores as much as any formation for me personally.

nice milnerpoint!

You also have to consider the oppositions formation, will 442 exploit the flanks or negate their wide play, or will it put you in danger with a light midfield?

pre game match training, passing focus/style, tempo, stratergy will help or negate what you want to acheive with said formation.

Do not understand the DLF, would rather play a AMC/T instead.

Your actual formation in the tactics screen doesn't mean anything. It is just a baseline that determines kick-off positions and the sort of behaviors to which individual mentality settings correspond. Your real formation shows up in the "average position" screen in a match analysis, and with different role assignments, a "442" can end up actually being a 451, a 4411 or a 424. In fact, a modern 451 is probably more like an FM 442 as the attacking midfielder is typically a false nine operating more like a second striker.

It depends, sometimes my team can score loads using 4-4-2 too.

You can modify your team's ability to score goals by changing the individual roles of your players, as well as the team's mentality (e.g. 'balanced', 'attacking'). I usually use 'balanced'.

I am working on a Classic 442 tactic that is very solid and can produce an average of 3 goals per match with the right players. The important part is to close the gap between the midfield and defense and use two deep-lying forwards so that the wingers and strikers combined provide four passing outlets when you're in possession. It is also very important to not use lazy "classic winger" types on the flanks in this tactic. High work rate is a must for all ten outfield players.

I am working on a Classic 442 tactic that is very solid and can produce an average of 3 goals per match with the right players. The important part is to close the gap between the midfield and defense and use two deep-lying forwards so that the wingers and strikers combined provide four passing outlets when you're in possession. It is also very important to not use lazy "classic winger" types on the flanks in this tactic. High work rate is a must for all ten outfield players.

Nonsense man. I use a poacher and a target man, no deep lying forwards and i use two wingers that are attacking only, i do not struggle with the formation.

There is not a single right way to play 4-4-2 just some wrong ways. It is my favoured formation and its balance allows for both attacking and defensive solidarity depending on how you wish to set up. I do like a DLF though but alongside an AF or , quality allowing, a treq. I also use two attacking wingers but vary CM roles depending on strentgh of opposition and their formation(gotta be careful against flooded midfields).

Archived