work permit questions.

just signed a croatian, arrived in january 2013, however he has a red WP icon and can not be used.

firstly, can i see conditions of this work permit as it was a "conditional" work permit

and secondly, croatia joins EU on the 1st july 2013, will the work permit go away?

Even if the future accession to the EU was in the game, it's unlikely that Croatians would "count" for WP purposes. It's currently not as simple as players from every EU member country don't need WPs in the UK, which is a pain in the arse. Read your scout reports carefully as they should give you information on WPs.

It used to be the case that nobody from within the European Economic Area (which is the EU, plus Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein, I think) could live and work in any other country in the EEA without a need for such things as work permits. But the level of migration after the 2004 EU expansion was a bit of a shock, so when it came to be Bulgaria and Romania's turn, the rules were altered. For football clubs in the UK, it meant that players from these two countries would need work permits. As Katarian says, it's likely the same will apply to those that join in the future.

just signed a croatian, arrived in january 2013, however he has a red WP icon and can not be used.

firstly, can i see conditions of this work permit as it was a "conditional" work permit

and secondly, croatia joins EU on the 1st july 2013, will the work permit go away?

Why would he have a WP issue if he was given a conditional permit to come work in the UK? I find that bizarre. I got Fierro to come over, he got one of these conditional WP on appeal and could play straight away.

The WP does indeed mean your player cannot play in England at all. You will have to send him on loan to a country where he can acquire a second nationality (such as Belgium or Poland) to enable him to play for your club in the future: it does mean your player will be unavailable to you for at least 2 years though.

I just tried to sign a youth player with some quality potential. He is from Uruguay. Work Permit was denied at first on the grounds that it was a youth contract (appeal turned down), so i offered him a full time contract. This time it was turned down with no explanation

Archived