Players you wish you hadn't sold.

We all have experienced it probably sometimes over our FM careers that we bought a player we had high hopes for but didn't manage to get him to click with our team and sold him again just to see him become amazing for another club again.

So far I had been fairly lucky and because I mainly try to develop my own youth players into world class players I seldom have the problem of getting it wrong with a major transfer.

Until I got so fed up with the bad form of Barrios and Lewandowski, that I went out of my way and bought two new strikers. Son Heung-Min as a backup and Edison Cavani as my new star player. Having recieved 35 mio. € from Arsenal for Subotic just a few days before I was happy to get a deal with Napoli for only 30m € for Edison Cavani who until this point had been good but not a world beater but by looking at his stats I was convinced he had all the traits to become one of the best strikers in the world playing in my team.

Well the season didn't turn out as I expected for him and he never really seamed to click with the team an injury at the beginning of the season didn't help him much either and the fact that Son Heung-Min went on to be really effective saw him only grabbing 15 games in the league that season and only scoring 6 goals.

Being a bit reluctant to spend so much money on a player yet having done it against all my instincts and then seeing him fail so miserably I was happy to sell him to PSG for only 5 mio. € less then I bought him for glad to cut my losses as much as possible.

How little did I know how that move would turn out for him and PSG in the end.

edinsoncavanihistorycar.jpg

Yep after I sold him to PSG he went on to win the golden shoe 3 times in a row scoring over 40 goals in each season in the league alone.

Naturally giving up so fast on a player wasn't really a good idea and I should have given him more time to settle in but in hindsight I guess everyone is smarter but his performances that season he was with me were so awful that I just couldn't justify playing him ahead of Son Heung-Min or my emerging star striker Yesil so I sold him.

Have you experienced stuff like that were you sold a player to hastily and he went on to become a world class player or am I the only one dumb enough to make such a mistake?

Once, managing Fiorentina, i sold Gilardino after a very disapointing first season.

Sold him for 5M, i think, to FC Bayern.

In the next two season, he was the best scorer in Bundesliga, with over 30 goals in each season.

I think the tactical system was the main reason. I played in a 451 formation, and he went to FC Bayern that play in a 442.

Archived