Stuttering Match Engine

In FM 11 i had a problem where the match engine would stutter i just put it down to an old PC. When i bought FM12 i had the same problem, then in december i built a new PC which should run this game with ease yet im still having the same problem and the onlyway to fix it is to minimise the game and bring it back up. the spec of my current PC is

Intel i7 2700k, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX580.

Have you tried to fully update your graphic drivers from the nvidia page? Don't use drivers that came with your graphic card - they are most likely outdated. Also, do you have the latest directx driver? Have you ticked 'Hyper threading' inside the game?

I'm asking because I've just got a new PC myself with just a bit lower specs and I don't have these problems you describe anymore.

In FM 11 i had a problem where the match engine would stutter i just put it down to an old PC. When i bought FM12 i had the same problem, then in december i built a new PC which should run this game with ease yet im still having the same problem and the onlyway to fix it is to minimise the game and bring it back up. the spec of my current PC is

Intel i7 2700k, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX580.

Hmm that's strange I have almost the exact same specs on my PC and it's running very nice and smooth. Maybe it's because of a skin you use or something running in the background? Have you tried opening your resource monitor and have a look at which processes are running and maybe slowing down your system?

I've got the same specs, seem to get stuttering when I play the game in fullscreen, all of my drivers are fully updated, FM is the only process running. In case it helps, update Java as well as your graphic card's drivers. I found it made a slight improvement as it took quite a few games before the stuttering kicked in.

I switched to windowed mode and now get zero stuttering, at first I wasn't keen on windowed mode but now I'm happy with the solution and can enjoy FM2012 again.

Stuttering can happen irrelevant of hardware, and i don't know what causes it. Probably more of a processing issue than the graphic card; the OP's GTX 580 should have noe problems whatsoever in running FM's 3d graphics smoothly, no matter if his driver is not the very latest. To me it looks like stuttering happens when there's a lot of processing of other matches going on at the same time as you are watching your match. Regardless of having threading enabled.

I sometimes get stuttering also, and I can assure you it's not my hardware - Intel Core i7 920, 12 GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce GTX 280 should handle FM's graphics with no problems whatsoever, even on high settings and all the eye candy enabled. And indeed I run most games, even the most modern and graphic intensive ones fluently on very high settings. So it's something to do with FM itself, positively.

I've noticed that my stuttering gets better when I load up a video on say windows media player, or media player classic. It smooths the stuttering out. Which is extremely odd.

I run a pig of a computer. 12 Gigs of ram. 2500k SB OC'd to 5 GHZ. SLI 570 GTX's. There is absolutely no way the ME should stutter, but it does, and the only semi solution I've found so far is to load up a video and let it run or pause it.

Mine only stutters during the early rounds of cup matches, when a lot of fixtures are being played that day.

Maybe the number of games being played at the same time as yours has a bearing on this issue? I always thought AI V AI games were calculated before or after your match, but this leads me to believe some or all are actually played/processed at the same time your game is being displayed.

I notice stuttering as well. I'm not sure if there is a pattern or why it happens but it is pretty noticable when it happens. I play fm always windowed so I don't know if it would be worse in full screen like one of the previous posters mentioned.

I always have graphics drivers up to date so don't think its that. Intel I7 3930k, 16 gb ram and SLI gtx 560 ti's

I suffer from the same issue when I watch matches in highlight mode, not a problem when I watch the full match.

Running an i7-920 paired with a HD4890, wonder if there is a link with high end cpu's?

I have to laugh at what some are saying .. like update your graphics drivers .. this has a big fat O to do with it ... FM12 was made in the summer of 2011 .. Nvidia GTX580. wasnt even out . so any drivers you have are more than good enough .

plus a game like FM can run on pretty much any graphics card ..

your match engine would stutter is down to the processer and only that ... dual graphics or single or onborad have nothing i repete nothing to do with it .

What might be happing , is that your pc/laptop is running a update or somthing els in the background at the same time you see the match engine would stutter ..

try turning off your anti-virus program or spyware and even steam in off line mode ...

What might be happing , is that your pc/laptop is running a update or somthing els in the background at the same time you see the match engine would stutter ..

try turning off your anti-virus program or spyware and even steam in off line mode ...

While this maybe the case for some people, I think it's a bit far fetched to think that any update that is happening or virus scan that is running, happens to stop every time, at exactly the same time, as I open task manager (just open task manager, not do anything).

Try using Game Booster 3.0. You can find it on Google. Is shuts down a lot of background processes and frees up processor time and memory while playing FM. Its helped my game with this problem, although like I mentioned above, cup matches (especially ones with lots of games being played that day) seem to still be laggy. No problem with league games what-so-ever. Very strange :confused:

I have to laugh at what some are saying .. like update your graphics drivers .. this has a big fat O to do with it ... FM12 was made in the summer of 2011 .. Nvidia GTX580. wasnt even out . so any drivers you have are more than good enough .

plus a game like FM can run on pretty much any graphics card ..

your match engine would stutter is down to the processer and only that ... dual graphics or single or onborad have nothing i repete nothing to do with it .

This is simply not true. You can make a case for new graphic cards should run FM just fine, but so should any Sandy Bridge CPUs. I also have the stuttering match engine problem on my laptop (and not on my desktop, with both weaker CPU and weaker graphic card). The laptop runs demanding games like the new Deus Ex just fine, but can't handle the FM2012 match engine. Processing is also alot quicker on my laptop than my desktop, but the ME stutters as if it was ran on some Y2K hardware.

• 5 weeks later...

There is no need to turn off your anti-virus just add some exception so that when its scanning it ignores any folders that fm needs to access.

If you're getting stuttering in windowed mode using Aero (i.e. Vista/W7), try selecting "Disable desktop composition" in the compatibility options (to get there, right-click on your FM shortcut or FM.exe, select properties and switch to the Compatibility tab, it's the 4th options under settings in W7). Or just disable Aero altogether ;)

Works a treat here.

I'm not sure if this could be also causing an issue with the stuttering but have you added any new leagues to your game? I'm thinking that perhaps your player database has grown to such a degree that it's causing these performance issues with the game. I think I've read about some people have an issue whilst watching matches due to having so many new players added to the database after they've added new leagues.

Mine only stutters when I manage France in the Internationals. Can only assume this is because there are a lot of other matches being processed at the same time.

This is similar to my experience. Mine only stutters when a bunch of fixtures are being played simultaneously.

It's clearly a processing issue. Maybe due to the fact that FM still isn't properly multi-core/multi-threading supported? Even if there are loads of background stuff going on - anti-virus, updating etc. ... modern PC's with multi-core processors and plenty of RAM should be able to cope with that without a sweat. It's something with the way FM is computed.

I have this problem also i have a PC which should be very capable of running it at high specs i have tryed everything to fix the problem but so far failed.

I have just brought a brand new graphics card today which is better than my Nvidia card so i hope when its delivered and put in it solves this problem (fingers crossed)

Archived