What makes a good Ass Man?

They do work. i spent a rather long sabbatical as York City in League One leaving my assistant to take charge of the games during the season and i just sorted out the signing of players and renewal of contracts, spent 6 seasons in league one without going anywhere, let my assistants contract expire and hired a new assistant with better stats, kept the same team and won the league by 20 points.

I like my Assistant to handle the press (FM 2011) so if he is a good man manager and motivator I figure he will be able to handle that part of his duties. Coaching is a bonus, tactics is a very nice bonus, judging players ability and potential is crucial. You always need a good judge of ability to see who is a big game player, who is consistent, and a good judge of potential is also essential, for my style of play at least. Don't always listen to everything, I have seen players rated as 2.5 stars become greats, mainly because the player the AM is comparing them to is world class themself.

They do work. i spent a rather long sabbatical as York City in League One leaving my assistant to take charge of the games during the season and i just sorted out the signing of players and renewal of contracts, spent 6 seasons in league one without going anywhere, let my assistants contract expire and hired a new assistant with better stats, kept the same team and won the league by 20 points.

I think you'll find that if you test out assistants a little bit more thoroughly you'll find they do not work how they are supposed to. In essence whoever your assistant is within the game is more or less irrelevant.

What you have done is basically thrown a coin in the air and because it landed on heads once you presume it will always land on heads.

The reason why FM is so poor in some areas is because some people blindingly accept that the game works and suck up to SI. They make excuses as to why the game does this, that and the other.

Assistants do not work as intended.

I want them to have good high JPA and JPP to tell me how good the squad or the youth intake is, though with the new squad depth and position strength you can quickly see the opinion of your squad from any staff member, so you could hire a coach just for JPA and JPP if you wanted.

High man management to report complacency on match day is also important to me.

Archived