Be sure to clean up your scout reports regularly ! (otherwise menus/search are laggy)

Just though i´d share that "discovery" after a quick search here didn´t turn up anything

Be sure to delete scouting reports you don´t need regularly ! Many menus (especially search filters) were helluve unresponsive after just half a year where i didn´t adjust initial reports, then i deleted every scouting report of less than 3 stars (don´t delete more than 150 or so at a time, at least for me that meant a freeze) and for future scouting endeavours set "at least 3 stars" as a requirement.

After i needed sometimes like 4 or 5 seconds to change a single thing in the filter (like age or position) it is back to being basically instantaneous now.

Also make sure not to have multiple scouts do the same region/nation/league, just get a 2nd opinion on guys based on the first scouting report instead of having like a thousand players with 4 or 5 scouting reports each.

It also makes it much easier to manage the scouting network screen.

My shortlist is never more than about 10 people.

If my scout highlights someone, and I like the look of them, I'll send out a scout to get a 3 match report on them. Sometimes I'll cancel the scouting reports and remove him from the shortlist after the very first report.

The number of people who actually make it through to my shortlist is tiny.

yes, it´s just the reports i mean :) (for what it´s worth my shortlist normally is around 30 people and i have another shortlist of about 20-25 kids under 18 i want to keep tabs on for a while)

speaking of shortlists : It is very annoying that guys you scout manually (not assignments but right click and scout) are automatically put on the last shortlist you had opened up.

As for the reports, the problem is that i guess a lot of guys (me included obviously) let scouts stay on the assignment they are allready doing at the start of the game (like uk&ireland, central europe or world) instead of stopping them cold and so on top of the initial reports they offer, they add a ton of reports in a short period of time because there are no restrictions set.

Plus you have scouts with overlapping (or even the same) assignments and often players will have 3 or 4 reports on them (dunno if that is a factor, but it might).

I wish there was an option like "don´t scout again" that i could assign to guys at the end of the season.

A question : When in the search screen i filter by actual/potential rating, there will be players showing up with no rating/report available, how come ?

On my own scouting assignments i can easily keep track due to my restrictions, but if your assistant allready comes up with like 2000 reports all by himself, you have work to do to clean it up.

my shortlist regulalry consists of over 250 players. not so much of a shortlist really! it consists of players i'm looking at buying as well as star players that i think i may have a chnace but only if they are near the end of their contract as well as a lot of youth players that i'm undecided about. dont have any noticeable slow-down.

The Scout screen is so tedious to operate.

Scouts shouldn't even report back on players that are CRAP. I know you can set the Scout filter to only return with a certain potential and/or ability etc. - but really the UI here could be about 1,000,000 times better - that's right, a MILLION times better.

It's actually one of the worst UIs in the game - but it has some stiff competition :)

Scouts need to be smarter. Perhaps only keeping scout reports for people with 3 or more stars for 365 days. Then the 2.5 stars for 132 days. 2 stars for 100 days. 1.5 stars for 50 days. 1 star for 10 days.

It would also be great to have a Head Scout. Someone who reviews the other scouts reports before they come to you. They could filter through the best and brightest (according the Head Scouts stats) and then when you want to find a new player you simply go to the Head Scout reports and look through them.

Another advantange of the Head Scout would be that they would reassign Scouts to different regions etc. to improve your scouting network. You could of course override their recommendations. These could come up in Staff Meetings where the Head Scout recommends a few players to be scouted further, and also recommends certain scouts for certain regions etc.

I've got 18 scouts at my club. And I have to WADE through all the reports doing the donkey work. I'm the Manager. That donkey work can be delegated. I'm sure that Ferguson, Wenger, Guardiola, Mourinho, don't sit there with 18 files from scouts piled high on their desk and go through each set of reports.

There are even points where the Scouts will recommend the same players but rate them differently. It would be nice to be able to accumulate all the reports into one screen. This is another thing you could have with the Head Scout. They'd line up the players recommended by the scouts and you could see what each scout rated them etc.

The scouting system is so NAFF in the game. Really needs improving.

Why are you looking at buying 250 players? How big is your squad?

i'm not looking to buy 250 players. i'm looking to buy players from that pool of 250 players. so lets say i decide i need a quality first-teamer Central Midfielder, Defence. I will scout perhaps 4-5 and put them all on my shortlist. i will then start making bids for them to see who i can get for a decent amount. if they all want silly amounts of money, the players will stay on my shortlist until such time that one of them wants to leave and i can get them for cheaper.

i also plan ahead. so now i may not want an up-and-coming striker, poacher - but perhaps in the future i might. so i'll add 10-15 young poacher strikers who are rated by my scouts as being quite good (presuming that alot of them will actually turn out to be rubbish) and i'll monitor them as they get older.

so really, i have anywhere in the region of 10-20 players for each position i may want to fill in the future.

Where's he looking though? Is he scouting a region he's familiar with, or your scouting is familiar with?

They might be crappy reports because the league is not well known, nor are the players. Most of the time though - they are crap.

It should be simple to set your scouts off.

Select All > Scout Best Regions > ***+

At the moment - if you have 18 scouts you have to individually go to each scout and into other screens to Filter the scout searches to ***+

It's an unmitigated User Interface disaster!

wow, In FM2010 my so called shortlist had over 3000 players in it. For those who say they only have 10-30 players, do you not get really pissed when a young wonderkid say 16-20 who you knew about but weren't actively trying to buy gets snapped up as you never got news about teams bidding about him. Or that world class player who wasn't interested in you suddenly becomes unhappy and gets transfer listed by request and would be willing to move to you, but again you don't get news and he goes for a ridiculous cut price?

wow, In FM2010 my so called shortlist had over 3000 players in it. For those who say they only have 10-30 players, do you not get really pissed when a young wonderkid say 16-20 who you knew about but weren't actively trying to buy gets snapped up as you never got news about teams bidding about him. Or that world class player who wasn't interested in you suddenly becomes unhappy and gets transfer listed by request and would be willing to move to you, but again you don't get news and he goes for a ridiculous cut price?

this is the reason why i do it. if i can't afford to buy the player at the time, i can buy it in future.

I also usually have massive shortlists. Some active, some inactive. It is (was?) a very useful feature to keep a bit of order to player research and scouting. @Ackter, @milnerpoint: There is nothing about the game that suggests that you should only put players on your shortlist that you are getting ready to bid upon. Only the AI managers are compelled to use it in this way as far as I know. Even the backroom staff want to get 3-6 players on the shortlist every two weeks! I'm sure we all admire your spare and tidy listing abilities, however, this doesn't mean the OP's method shouldn't be viable. It has been no problem to use the feature this way in previous iterations.

with the new player filter by potential (via the socut) it has become so easy to have a look at the high potential guys real quick, i merely check that at the start of the year and in December and adjust my shortlist accordingly.

20 youngsters seems plenty for me, as soon as their asking price goes up or if i´m not interested in them anymore to a certain point i delete them from the list and add new ones discovered.

Shortlist for me is the area where i can go and have a quick look without having to use any filters or criteria.

But i also don´t buy countless youngsters, generally don´t buy more than 1 or 2 a year as it seems to easy otherwise.

In any case, it isn´t really an issue if you have 20 or 2000 guys on the shortlist. But if you have scout reports for all 2000, that will slow the search function down a bit, especially if you also have another 2000 reports from players not on your list.

Didn´t say people had to sacrifice their shortlists or scouting reports, just saying that if you find the search too unresponsive that deleting the reports is the way out :) (it also seems to slow down stuff like player interaction)

And since i can allways get a new basic report within a day or 2 i´d rather delete the reports of could-be-maybe-one-day targets rather than crawl through the search function.

I found in one game its had nothing to do with the amount of reports but rather the amount of searchable players i had, one game it takes maybe 20-25 secs to do a player search and by that i mean any small change at all trigers the loading, but even if i where to retire and add a new manager with 0 shortlist or reports it would stil take long due to the DB size.

I tried deleting all my scout reports Marinho and it did seem to speed things up just a bit, so thanks for the original post. I only had 300-500 scout reports but am having a bit of a slowdown, so it was worth it.

Not really, i only buy a player when i feel i need it, very rarely just because one becomes available, when i need one or two i go looking. I have scouts set up all the time so i get reports for players but very very few end up on my shortlist for longer than a day. I have a look and if the player doesnt interest me right away i delete him and move on. It means when i go to sign a player i have a limited search, and if i dont get 1 of those i wait until the next window and re-arrange my squad around to cover, play people out of position and bring up kids.

I also usually have massive shortlists. Some active, some inactive. It is (was?) a very useful feature to keep a bit of order to player research and scouting. @Ackter, @milnerpoint: There is nothing about the game that suggests that you should only put players on your shortlist that you are getting ready to bid upon. Only the AI managers are compelled to use it in this way as far as I know. Even the backroom staff want to get 3-6 players on the shortlist every two weeks! I'm sure we all admire your spare and tidy listing abilities, however, this doesn't mean the OP's method shouldn't be viable. It has been no problem to use the feature this way in previous iterations.

Ive just never kept big shortlists for whatever reason, never started doing it in the first place, i do spend a lot of time looking around teams and players and make notes of names in my head to maybe look for later on, but i just dont see the point in having a huge shortlist, i really only sign 1/2 players a season, usually youth and then build them into my team so i have no need for a short list as such. If i do sign a bigger player then i usually know of him in the game and dont need to scout him as i can see his attributes already.

If I was seriously trying to buy him I'd have already bought him.

Players only stay on my shortlist while they're being scouted. Once the 3 reports are up, I make a decision whether to buy or not. If I'm unable to buy, I look elsewhere.

ill also add i build squads years in advance, right now for example i have 4 strikers in my first team squad, two that are established, two that are 19, and i have two 16 years olds in my youth team im hopeful can push for 1st team eventually, so i have no need to look for a striker for at least 4/5 years so i wont bother, no matter who is avaliable, same goes for the other positions, my youth team is set up so i have players in each position i hope can eventually push for 1st team some bough, some home made, some will never get a first team slot in the long run, but id rather use these players for the rubbish games in the hope of building their rep so they can be sold off when they get to that age.

I often have big shortlists. My current one is just over 1000. I always say I'll cut it down, but I never really do on any decent scale. Most of the players I add are youngsters though who I'll keep tabs on for a couple of years, and then remove them when they hit 20 if they've not developed into anything good enough for my team.

Unless I'm right at the top of football (very rare) my scouts tend to find so many players who could be useful to me, that my shortlist gets huge almost without me realising.

Hearing some of you say you have shortlists of 25-30 is motivating me to cut it down now! :D

I had 2785 scout reports, haha, wow. Also never actually realized you could limit your scouts to reporting back on players with at least a certain amount of stars, good stuff.

Cheers.

Edit: My game was relatively quick before but wow, it's so much quicker now. Nice one.

sorry foe being a muppet,ive just skimmed through.will i have to delete the reports one be one?as im sure when i knocked off a region on a scout he lost all the reports and sadly all the blue lines and flags..

Archived