Unbelievable! An unrepentant diver!

Di Maria in sizzling hot form takes a dive early on in a league match and gets booked - rightly so. Nothing out of the ordinary, I've seen him take the occasional dive in my current save.

The idiot however decides to take a dive again just before half-time and is sent off!!! I don't think I've ever seen a player in real-life dumb enough to take a dive on a yellow and usually refs give the benefit of the doubt to the player if he's on a yellow. Furthermore, I don't recall Di Maria being a particularly dirty player in real-life (though I haven't seen much of him except for the last world cup). Anyways, I thought it was a tad unrealistic for that to happen, but wrote it off as a one-off.

I fine him a weeks wages and he feels treated unfairly. No big hoo-haa, just a message in my inbox saying so.

My next game is a CL match, so Di Maria is available and I start him... The dim-wit goes and does the exact same thing! Early booking for diving, sent-off just before half-time for a second dive!!!

Bug, getting back at me, or diving enthusiast?

Sounds to me as though he has considerbly low proffessionalism and sportsmanship......... for that to happen at that consistency, they must be low.

Labino Haliti in Australia's A-League once got sent off for a dive and a deliberate handball.

I reported this issue last year. SI didn't fix it. There's no way to punish a player who dives, and a player being on a yellow has no real bearing on if they keep diving.

• Administrators

I've definitely seen a player sent off for a 'second yellow' after diving, not sure if I've seen the same player get two in the same match mind. As Fraz said, if you have an example we'd like to take a look - although I'd imagine the chances of this happening in-game are extrodinarily rare.

Furthermore, I don't recall Di Maria being a particularly dirty player in real-life (though I haven't seen much of him except for the last world cup).

While you're right to find this unrealistic (FM refs are infinitely more willing to book a player for diving than real-life refs, who always bottle it) you're wrong about Di Maria.

The rather tedious Barca vs Real arguments that break out on many of the footbal sites I visit generally turn into an argument about whether Di Maria or Busquets is a more loathsome cheat - to the extent that former favourite target C.Ronaldo doesn't even get brought up as a diver.

Di Maria dives constantly. Unfortunately, no ref would dare send him off for it.

I quite like the alternate world of FM, where such things are punished. I'm managing Neymar at Santos, and every time he gets booked for some stupid dive to try and get a player from a 3rd Division team sent off in the State Championship, I'm glad he gets booked.

It's just too bad you can't shout at players for diving.

Archived