What do you look for in a regen?

Pretty simple question: When you look at a youth newgen that was just created, what sort of current stats makes you go "hmm, this may be a top youth"? Most of the screenshots I've seen of people's top youths are pretty obscene, and almost fully developed. Yet the top shelf youth I come across in my game are much more raw, and probably need 5+ years before they would look anything like the guy in the following example:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/303284-Determination-stat-sudden-plummet!

What is the minimum you'd accept in a key stat before the player is no longer worth the effort? Will someone with a 10 in finishing possibly become a top striker, given that training/mental stats/injuries allow for it?

Thanks!

People generally only post great regens.

Probably the most important attribute is determination, as that affects how other attributes will develop, but an average attribute isn't a disaster as it can be improved through tutoring and other things.

Someone with 10 for finishing could be a very very good striker, particularly if they are only 16 or 17. At that age you could hope to increase it to 14 or 15 or 16 by the time they peak in their late 20s. Even aged 21, it could maybe reach 12 or 13, and other brilliant attributes (for example, 20 in composure) could balance it out to mean the player is still deadly in front of goal. Even without very high composure, the player could be made into a supporting striker or retrained for an attacking midfield role, where he wouldn't need to use finishing as often.

10 minimum in determination for me. He'll still need to be tutored if it's under 14 though. After that, double figures or approaching them in key attributes for their position are a must too.

Beyond that, I rely on coach and scout reports. Sometimes my coach will think highly of a player I think looks awful, so I'll give them more of a chance. Finally, their average rating when they play. Players with a higher potential seem to play better, even if their current ability doesn't appear to be that high.

People generally only post great regens.

Probably the most important attribute is determination, as that affects how other attributes will develop, but an average attribute isn't a disaster as it can be improved through tutoring and other things.

I generally don't buy players with less than 12 in determination. Besides that, potential is key. A raw 15 year old with huge potential will turn into a great player if you get him tutored and some playtime as a sub. It's just taking several years, you gotta be patient.

This player from my academy was horrible when I first got him (finishing 8, dribbling 6 etc, only his physicals were nice) but turned out decent now...

we5CQ.png

For a player to develop well he needs a decent level of professionalism, i'd have to crosscheck one of those Stormen's threads on personalities but a player that is determined or fairly determined isn't necessarily a good professional unless you have an indication of it from the media handling type (reserved,evasive or even level-headed).

So it's pointless to sign a youngster without a good personality if you don't have a good tutor for him, professional players make the most out of the training so they develop faster.

As to regens it depends on what you are looking for, i hate having defenders with low bravery so i try to avoid it as much as possible, i play a stopper/cover combo and i want my stopper to have a high level of aggression and determination to win balls back, the cover defender might be more intelligent and don't get stuck in every incident, just use his high anticipation,positioning and composure to win the ball cleanly.

For players that will do a lot of running(full-backs,defensive midfielders) natural fitness is important so they recover faster during the season, teamwork is also great for hard working midfielders,playmakers or supporting strikers, ideally you want to have a high value of teamwork all over the team though it's not always possible.

Decisions is very important specially for the players on the back, regarding defenders i don't even rate tackling that high nowadays, it goes after anticipation,concentration,decisions and composure.. a well-composed ball playing defender is a beauty to watch.

Just as long as they have potential,basic attributes for the position(and if they are lacking on one department, the individual focus can often make up for it) a good personality and they are getting good match experience they will develop into top players, nothing for more fun in the game than picking a raw youngster that looks like he is going nowhere for cheap and turn him into a great players.

I would have to agree - I love the youth projects that need tutoring and a focused effort to shape them into a top flight player. At the same time, I am not keen on wasting a ton of time for no gain =) I just wanted a sanity check since I have limited experience with FM in recent years (haven't played since the game was with Eidos back in the day, but back and ever so hooked!). Sounds like I am generally okay. I try to avoid single-digit values in key attributes that cannot be directly trained through individual focus, as I have found those to be much harder to raise.

I generally don't buy players with less than 12 in determination. Besides that, potential is key. A raw 15 year old with huge potential will turn into a great player if you get him tutored and some playtime as a sub. It's just taking several years, you gotta be patient.

This player from my academy was horrible when I first got him (finishing 8, dribbling 6 etc, only his physicals were nice) but turned out decent now...

that guy is the mirror image of a striker i just got into my youth academy, lots of potential with 14s and 15s in physichal stats but rest of the attributes not stellar. Now i´m even more determined to develop him :)

in general i´ll prefer kids with good physichals (not stellar nescesserily, just good and solid) and lackluster other attributes compared to the other way round.

when buying a young player (which i don´t do often anyway), in terms of determination it also depends on if i think that i have a suitable mentor available or not.

High potential (duh), decent current ability so I can give them first-team games sooner, no glaring weaknesses in key attributes for their position. I don't actually pay that much attention to personality and Determination - I have tutors that can reform those attributes to basically ideal values.

it does depend on what players you want.

if i can find a decent defender that can get jumping and heading to 17+ like i did on my blackpool save, i score a load from set pieces so is handy.

a striker with great pace and finishing, always great poachers.

Archived