Getting a new computer for FM...

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot...

As the thread title says, I'm buying a new computer for FM (and OOTP) in the next month...

I have heard and seen disputed, that there is a point of diminishing returns for things like RAM and processing speed/cores...is this the case? If getting 16GB of RAM is worth it, I'll do it, but would hate to find out that anything past 6GB is pointless after the fact...same with dual vs quad core...Or anything else that impacts game speed...

Thanks for the help, and again, sorry if this is in the wrong spot...

6GB of ram is more than adequate... especially if it's for FM. Dual Core is fine but just remember that the better the PC you get now the longer it will take until it needs updating.

Remember also that you'll need a Windows 64-bit version to use more than 3 GB of RAM. As others say though - a fast processor is key, the more cores the better. And I'm quite enjoying having an SSD now as well... though as Krald said, the difference isn't as huge as I would've liked.

I'd shoot for more than 4GB, either 6 or 8. That lets FM eat up the 4GB a 32-bit app can use, and still leaves memory available for your OS and other apps that are open. The price difference between 4 and 8 is pretty trivial, too.

If FM is the primary driver for your purchase, definitely focus the bulk of your spending in the processor area.

Of course, you'd want the latest gen of intel processors. Costly, but it will future-proof your computer. Core i7 processors. If you are on a budget, get Core i3 or Core i5. Quad Core is also good and cheaper, but still packs a good punch.

Oh, and if you are planning to get a 6GB system, might as well make it 8GB for just a few more bucks.

Archived