This just cannot be right

Just started a new season with MK Dons (trying to take a lower league team up to the prem) anyhow I just played Accrington away in a preseason friendly. Having just beat Blackpool 2-0 at home im thinking that even though my team haven't quite adapted to my style of play a narrow win or a draw is a likely result. I lost 3-2, Accrington had 3 shots on target and scored them all.

Goal #1 - stunning shot from just outside box straight into top corner

Goal #2 - cross and header (preventable just poor defending, probably due to my team having not adapted to my play yet)

Goal #3 - The winning goal 2mins from time - 35 yard screamer straight into top corner.

Ok so this result means nothing for my season really but come on Accrington scored 2 absolute belters against me and scored every single shot they had on target. I by the way had 21 shots in total with 12 on target and i scored 2 goals.

This shot on target to goal ratio for the CPU is something i have talked about before, there is something genuinly wrong with the ratio's here.

I dont see the issue, you lost because of two freak goals and your team not putting away their chances, we dont really need to drag up real life examples of teams pounding others and yet losing or do we?

What did you do to try and create better chances for your team when you saw you were missing that many?

The thing is, this is just one of many many examples of games where the opposition score every shot they have on target against me, its happened to me over 3/4 different saves in different leagues with different teams. I'm completely open to the possibility that it is something to do with my tactics, in fact im sure a lot of it is down to that. However i really do not think that teams on a consistent basis in real life score every shot they have on target.

When i saw we were missing chances i asked my team to work the ball into the box because many of the missed chances were long shots, but to be honest im not expecting MK Dons to bang 5/6 goals in a game. However i have to say that i have always had issues with my attacking players missing relatively easy chances but that could be down to individual player attributes or morale

The thing is, this is just one of many many examples of games where the opposition score every shot they have on target against me, its happened to me over 3/4 different saves in different leagues with different teams. I'm completely open to the possibility that it is something to do with my tactics, in fact im sure a lot of it is down to that. However i really do not think that teams on a consistent basis in real life score every shot they have on target.

When i saw we were missing chances i asked my team to work the ball into the box because many of the missed chances were long shots, but to be honest im not expecting MK Dons to bang 5/6 goals in a game. However i have to say that i have always had issues with my attacking players missing relatively easy chances but that could be down to individual player attributes or morale

surely in your example it isn't a single team that is consistently scoring every shot on target. its a single team that is consistently conceeding every shot on target, across multiple saves, where your probably making the same tactical mistakes over and over again.

Playing with Benfica, lost one Portuguese Cup Final against Porto.

Porto had 1 shot on goal, and score. I had 22 shots on goal, 3 against woodwork, and 6ccc... and score niles!

**** happens! :D

Playing with Benfica, lost one Portuguese Cup Final against Porto.

Porto had 1 shot on goal, and score. I had 22 shots on goal, 3 against woodwork, and 6ccc... and score niles!

**** happens! :D

I hope your were suitably raging :D

I actually had one last night, away to Hibs, unbeaten in 18, scoring 2/3 goals a game easy, rest a couple but not all my team for the champs league game coming up. I score, they equalise a minute later, game goes on like that for the first half and its 3 all, look at the half time stats, ive had 15 shots, they've had 5.....their two strikers playing 8's or above, my two playing 6.5's, have a good go at them, dominate the second half, lose 4-3 :(

I hope your were suitably raging :D

It was the Bwin cup, so no biggy! Won the league, and i'm about to play the champions league final against Marseille. It's positive season! :)

but anyway, to the OP, this kind of results are perfectly normal. They happen every week in real life all over the world

I have been trying to come up with a system which creates good quality chances, whilst making sure I keep my opponents chances at a minimum, and after 6 years playing FM, I still cannot solve the issue of players finishing off the quality chances I create, but I'm learning everyday. I really believe I should be hammering teams.

I found working around stopping opponents from scoring, and being confident they're not going to nick a sucker goal against you, does help. All you have to do then is score the first goal (easy peasy...not) and usually more do follow once they push up, it's just getting that initial goal is the holy grail for me sometimes.

I have been trying to come up with a system which creates good quality chances, whilst making sure I keep my opponents chances at a minimum, and after 6 years playing FM, I still cannot solve the issue of players finishing off the quality chances I create, but I'm learning everyday. I really believe I should be hammering teams.

I found working around stopping opponents from scoring, and being confident they're not going to nick a sucker goal against you, does help. All you have to do then is score the first goal (easy peasy...not) and usually more do follow once they push up, it's just getting that initial goal is the holy grail for me sometimes.

You should pop over to the tactic's forum. Loads of threads that are helpful in there :thup:

Basically, the ME is shocking.

I remember some bloke scoring a 40 yarder for Tottenham - someone who never scored before in a real game - it was against Liverpool. I don't remember the player or the year.

Erik Edman vs Liverpool. Must have been like 2004 or 2005? May be making that up though.

The weird thing is, Cleon, I know my system is compatible to some extent, because I'm pretty solid defensively, and I play some great football, opening teams up at will at times. It's just bagging those elusive goals. The way I'm playing at the mo, a draw would feel like a defeat.

And if I alter my system in any way, bang(!), my players look inept. But in a few draws in my first season against lower placed teams, they were all over me, and a draw was a good result, then I go and beat both Man Utd and Arsenal (away) 3-0 comfortably.

Football....it's a funny old game!

Archived