Classic or new tactics?

Just out of curiosity, which do people prefer?

Does one have more benefits than the other?

I've always played with the new tactic system myself, but I'm getting bored of the touchline shouts as I don't think they have any effect, I'm also not a fan of the 'player role' function, so I'm considering the switch. Just thinking of ways to bring some life back into my game lol.

You have to understand that the TC is just templates over the classic tactics, they both use the same tools in essence. Shouts do work, they are very effective, but they are just more templates to stop you having to manually adjust the sliders. Changes in classic are no more effective than they are using the TC.

I personally would never go back to classic set up, its dated, makes little sense overall, and its far too easy to fall into traps making tactics that way, not unless you really really really know what each slider does, the TC is much more dynamic and effective but not perfect yet.

I'm with milnerpoint here - I can't for the life of me begin to understand why anyone would want to use the archaic and clumsy old system. The tactics creator works so well, and gives good, balanced and realistic tactics based on my actual interpretation of football. It's a no-brainer for me, but that's just my opinion.

im using the TC to create a basic framework and then adjust the sliders I need to get the playing style I want, I dont use shouts and often do sweping changes by changing between a large number of pre set plug and play kind of tactics

I agree with the milner and super's posts above mine. While it still might not be perfect, the TC is actually more like been an actual manager as I tell the players what role I want them to be and that's it. I used to be hardcore classic all the way but the TC is much simpler to understand and easier to change during a game with the use of shouts etc.

You have to understand that the TC is just templates over the classic tactics, they both use the same tools in essence. Shouts do work, they are very effective, but they are just more templates to stop you having to manually adjust the sliders. Changes in classic are no more effective than they are using the TC.

I personally would never go back to classic set up, its dated, makes little sense overall, and its far too easy to fall into traps making tactics that way, not unless you really really really know what each slider does, the TC is much more dynamic and effective but not perfect yet.

Fair play, I'm just not convinced by the shouts, they're a bit gimmicky for me. For me shouts need to be a little more detailed; not too much so they become classical, but just to the point where you feel you're actually doing something. Like you say it's not perfect yet, I just hope SI build on them.

FM12 is the first one I have used the TC. I couldn't get to grips with it at first after using the sliders for so long but now can't see me going back. After using it on this version, it has highlighted a lot of areas I think I used to make mistakes on the old system. It is a lot clearer on the TC and enables you to get the team playing as you want without any guess work. Still needs a better set piece creator though

Fair play, I'm just not convinced by the shouts, they're a bit gimmicky for me. For me shouts need to be a little more detailed; not too much so they become classical, but just to the point where you feel you're actually doing something. Like you say it's not perfect yet, I just hope SI build on them.

The shouts could be expanded on and hopefully over the next few versions we'll see new additions to them. But they change quite a bit under the hood and isn't just as clear cut as the name of the shout suggests. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM Have a read of the bottom few posts in that thread :thup:

Yeah the shouts are new and as such not perfect yet, you might not always find the exact one or combo you feel you need. But they give you ability to make pretty major changes without pausing, going through lists of sliders and then pulling your hair out as you still see things going wrong but cant figure out which slider is letting you down. The TC for me was a major step towards making the game more accessible, but at the same time i sometimes feel it was better to come from the days of using classic, as you could appreciate how much simpler the TC makes things, whilst still being as effective. Hopefully the build on the TC more for next year, i didnt really like the layout of the tactics screen this year, its far too cluttered with info you dont really need, i liked the simpler version of last year.

I agree with the two posts above mine. While it still might not be perfect, the TC is actually more like been an actual manager as I tell the players what role I want them to be and that's it. I used to be hardcore classic all the way but the TC is much simpler to understand and easier to change during a game with the use of shouts etc.
I take it you was refering to the posts of Super Bladesman & milnerpoint? my playing style is after all a tad different

The shouts could be expanded on and hopefully over the next few versions we'll see new additions to them. But they change quite a bit under the hood and isn't just as clear cut as the name of the shout suggests. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM Have a read of the bottom few posts in that thread :thup:

Thanks for that. Simpler for me, isn't always better. For newcomers or novices to the game, then the new tactics are ideal.

The balance between simple and advanced hasn't been reached yet. I know that's a generic debate, that's always going to be (you can't please everyone lol.)

Maybe like an advanced option to the current tactics system is a possibility for future versions. I just want that bit more than level of detail.

I take it you was refering to the posts of Super Bladesman & milnerpoint? my playing style is after all a tad different

Yeah, I've edited the post. Didn't realise we posted same times :)

I've never looked or used a plug in and play tactic, are they usually set up in classic or in the tc?

Classic

I re-read that post, it comes across as me sounding high and mighty, not what i ment at all!

Do they use classic because its easier to set up a wonder tactic if you will, or is it because they dont feel the TC lets them set up properly?

Well you can manipulate the AI and overload it and exploit weaknesses much easy in classic mode compared to the TC.

I've never looked or used a plug in and play tactic, are they usually set up in classic or in the tc?
I supose that a TC tactic with lots of modified idividual sliders in essence is pretty much the same thing as a classic tactic

personaly I just find it a lot more easy to construct the basics in the TC and get a starting point to work from, even if its probably more common to do plug and play tactics in classic mode

im normaly doing in match changes by switching system or formation, or by changeing the players around inside the system im using, if I spot the need to do so (sometimes this is at those 15min intervals cleon have been speaking about), but like mentioned I dont use shouts and often dont tweak a functional tactical system unless i have players sent of or such

I create a tactic in TC and then move on to slider tweaks, so in essence it's classic. I've tried both and found that classic suits me better. Shouts, or their effects to be precise, have left me baffled a few times. I remember once I scored in the 90th minute and used various shouts to shut up shop...just to concede a minute later from a counter-attack. On top of that, using only what TC gives me provides a bit random results. All that just puts me off TC+shouts. Making two classic tactics and switching between them has proved far more useful to me.

That's just my experience and views, though. I appreciate some people understand and like TC+shouts better, and consequently enjoy them. I've never understood all that animosity between classic users and TC users that seems to be present on the forums.

Archived