Work Permits for Irish Leagues,

Hi

Just wondering do work permits work the same in Ireland as england, what i mean is as far as i understand it its got to do with the %games that player has played for his national team that season or something similar. But when i was managing Liverpool i found i never really had a problem with work permits even for younger uncapped players, but now I'm manging a team in a a far lower rep league (Ireland) and i haven't got a work permit at all, is it got do do with the different leagues rules or is it mearly a reputation thing?

I realise it is a different country but i was wondering if any one knows the reason behind it. Any one ever who managed in league 1 or 2 find they could get work permits easy or at all as I believe in reputation the Irish premier league is between these two.

EU citizens and Irish citizens and people from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, need no work permits. Non-EU Sports Professionals who wish to play sport professionally in Ireland must apply for a Work Permit. This is from the official website so it appears that applications are on a case by case basis but there is no set criteria.

"The Sports Professional Work Permits Scheme, is made available to sporting organisations as a concession to support sports within Ireland and may be withdrawn if the conditions of the Scheme are not observed. Applications for Work Permits for Sports Professionals are only considered for players and are not considered for coaches. A Sports Professional who holds a Work Permit must only be engaged as a Professional Player. The contracted player is not permitted to engage in any other form of employment for the Club or for any other employer. Furthermore, it should be noted that Work Permits are employer specific. Therefore, a Professional Player cannot move from one club to another club without first receiving a new employment permit. Work Permit applications for coaches must meet normal work permit criteria.

Work Permits for Sports Professionals are generally issued for the period of the playing season and are non-renewable. However, where the salary of the Sports Professional is over €30,000 per annum, a Work Permit may be considered for a longer period.

New applications for Sports Professionals can only be considered where the professional is residing outside the State. A Sports Professional, in respect of whom a Work Permit application has been submitted, must not arrive, or play, in Ireland prior to the issuing of the Work Permit"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived