So, what specifically do we expect from the next generation match engine?

Now that we're all aware the match engine revamp is in process, what improvements are we most hoping to see?

Obviously the physics engine has to be a focus point. The ball in the current ME has no weight and doesn't behave like a separate object. There is also no proper collision detection nor a way to simulate physical contact beyond tackles. Those two shortcomings hold the ME back considerably and definitely need to be rectified.

Another important area in need of improvement in my opinion is positional flexibility. Player's defensive and attacking duties should not be tied to their starting position. It should be perfectly reasonable to expect similar defensive attitude from a player regardless of whether you play them in DMC, MC or AMC position. Obviously the shape would dictate how effectively they could carry out their assignments but a starting position should not stop an attacking player from being able to track back, right into their own area if need be. The way it works now is the reason why certain formations are more effective and easier to exploit in the ME. For example, using pretty much only TC settings one of the most solid and easy to use formation is the 442 diamond. Like this:

QIqlZ.jpg?1

Reasonably you'd expect it to come unstuck against teams that have decent wingers and overlapping fullbacks. Except it doesn't because the FB position is by far the most flexible in this ME. As long as your FBs have the stamina to get up and down the pitch this tactic both overloads the opposition box and defends solidly because it also employs a DMC which is another flexible position in the ME. Players in ML/MR or AML/AMR positions don't have the box to box flexibility of the FB's - the former are too hesitant in the attack phase while the latter won't track back beyond a certain line so this handicaps tactics which employ them. MC's are similarily limited - there is no way to get a defensive minded MC to consistently screen the back four - yet DMC's can make forward runs just as effectively. AMC's again, like AML/AMR won't track back beyond an invisible line on the pitch. All of this should not be tied to position at all. If I want my AMC to track back into my own box there needs to be a way to employ this. Obviously this sacrifices attacking shape but if that's not your primary concern then there shouldn't be an artificial limitation stopping you.

So, these are the main things off the top of my head. What are your thoughts?

The shape you see on that screen is your defensive shape whilst the instructions you give shape your attacks.

Many users can't seem to grasp this concept and it explains why you think FBs & DMCs are more flexible.

If you want your AMC to play like a MC or a DM you shouldn't be placing them in the AMC position.

The FB's and DMC's are more flexible. Since players are limited in the DB to certain starting positions then you can't just freely move them around. In any case, I'm not really interested in debating this specific point, more so in peoples opinions on potential ME improvements.

I agree with the OP in terms of the ball physics. Its something that SI already said that needs a major overall, and it something that when its done will give the ME a complete turnaround.

On another hand, i really hope that SI down follow the path of introducing separate formations for attacking and defesing duties.

I think that Cougar2010 as a good point when he says that with the current system we can do this already (using the individual player intructions). Perhaps this sistem needs to be a little tweaked in order to improved certains aspects, like the tracking down "bug".

In the older CM, we used to get this sistem: separate formations for attacking and defensing duties. Going back to this again its, imo, a step back. Easily we could fall in strange tactics that have 10 players attacking and all perfectly placed in the offsensive midfield, and a minute later, like little machines they all adjust into a "park the bus" tactic. It's just not real.

They can be some variations, for example the 4-5-1 turning into a 4-1-4-1, or a flat 4-4-2 turning into a 4-2-4, but apart from this "small" changes (that you can already do in the current system), i really think that we shouldn't be allowed to "flexibilize" our tactics.

Players should be given more personality. For example, when you watch Barcelona match, you can see Alexis Sanchez or Pedro tracking back after losing a ball. Xavi and Iniesta playing completely different despite similar positions. Pique running forward when the result is bad and playing as another forward. Pinto doing a Higuita and intercepting a long ball 30 yards from the goal. In FM it doesn't happen. Every player is the same. AMRs and AMLs never track back. CMs never (or very rarely) play different than each other. CBs never run forward. Ball physics and defensive behaviour is another important thing to look into. I don't really care about graphics, just give me realistic and believable matches.

Archived