The little things we love about our favourite game!

Just experienced something in my game that inspired me to write this thread and to ask other's to share their experiences and the little things that might of not seemed a big thing but they enjoyed seeing or happen in their career.

Anyway to mine, currently in the second season with Stevenage, top of the Championship by around 16 points in February time, I lost one game 4-1 to Swansea after being 1-0 up and my team's morale plummeted, I had a few player's unhappy after i'd fined them for poor performances and one or two trying to cause waves about new contracts and I went on a run of 5 games without a win with only 2 draws and morale became worse.

I kept thinking it was something I wasn't doing right, either I had my team selection wrong or my tactics wrong against certain team's style's of play etc.

But I set about trying to raise the team's morale (I stayed clear of the team meeting as I never seem to gauge that correctly and do more harm than good) although in hindsight I probably couldn't of made morale worse than it already was but anyway I managed to get a few up to fairly poor, rather than dark orange and red and drew the next game but was unlucky not to win.

Anyway, I still noticed I had a few player's with "unh" next to their names and thought obviously that can't be doing any good. So I spoke to them all individually and asked them in private chat if they had any concerns and they told me what they were, I took the hardline approach with them all and 4 out of 5 player's reacted well and one reacted badly, so the one that reacted badly went in the U18's with no game time and the other four continued without the "unh" sign!

Proceeded to my next match and won 4-0 and we went back to the old team we once were and are now unbeaten in 5 and counting. I'm putting it down to superb man management obviously haha! But seriously I just thought it was a nice little touch and very realistic that we can sort the problems out with player's head on and see if they're ready to tow the line with the rest of the squad and it has resulted in good performances.

Share your own, can be from any FM.

Having good man management skills doesn't include ******* off all of your players because they lost one game, a game which left their team 13 points clear. In fact, a manager with good man management skills might not have let his get team complacent after going up 1-0.

Having good man management skills doesn't include ******* off all of your players because they lost one game, a game which left their team 13 points clear. In fact, a manager with good man management skills might not have let his get team complacent after going up 1-0.

Thats kinda what the "haha" bit meant afterwards, no? Was an ironic remark about the fact I handled things wrongly in the first place, thanks for the angry reply though.

wow. That was a little harsh.

Anyway, I think it's good that you managed to sort things out by talking to each player individually. I would probably called a team meeting and made things worse lol.

wow. That was a little harsh.

Anyway, I think it's good that you managed to sort things out by talking to each player individually. I would probably called a team meeting and made things worse lol.

Haha I nearly made that mistake, but stayed well away, not sure if they need improving a little bit or I just misjudge them, probably the latter.

Archived