Managers quitting to join weaker teams

On my save, 5 years in and 28 games into the season, the manager of Swansea (5th in the Premier League) has just quit to join West Brom (17th in the Premier League). I don't believe in real life a manager of a team on the verge of qualifying for Europe would leave to go to a club in a relegation battle. It is not the first time I have seen it happen but it is one of the more ridiculous cases.

I think this is something that really needs changing as teams are rarely appointing unemployed managers and the reputation system seems to make bigger underachieving clubs seem more attractive than smaller overachieving clubs. The reputation should be updated every week or month, not just at the end of the season.

It's mostly due to reputation like you say. In real life it could happen if a manager is promised a higher transfer and/or wage budget than he's used to. There was an example recently in the Premiership but I can't think who and which team...

What's very annoying though is when a manager will leave a club to join a club already getting relegated at the end of the season.

It's mostly due to reputation like you say. In real life it could happen if a manager is promised a higher transfer and/or wage budget than he's used to. There was an example recently in the Premiership but I can't think who and which team...

What's very annoying though is when a manager will leave a club to join a club already getting relegated at the end of the season.

Wasn't it Coyle joining Bolton? Were Burnley ahead of Bolton at the time? Imaging if Rodgers at Swansea manager was offered Villa for instance. At the end of the season if both Villa and Swansea survived, they'd both be on 0 points in the next series, but Rodgers would get a far bigger budget. But I agree it's rare.

I've been following Marco van Basten around the Premier League in my save! He left Watford for Liverpool, I joined Watford. He left Liverpool for Crystal Palace (!), I went to Liverpool. Finally, he left Palace for Barcelona and i jumped to Palace. He's at Man City now, don't think i'll be leaving though!

Top 4 this past season, btw, were Palace, Liverpool, Wolves, and Watford!

I guess this is connected to reputation.

AI players and managers assume that success will over the years be easier to achieve at a higher rep club, which I think is fair enough. I also jumped ship before to a club below me in the table as that club had significantly higher resources and therefore offered the better future perspective to me.

That being said, in a case like in the OP, I'm not sure if that would happen irl. A move from a CL qualification spot into the relegation struggle is odd indeed.

Ya I've notced something similar to this.

When a team just sacks their manager I'm linked to it. I'm fighting for the title with Corby and Villa ,for example, in 17th and I'm odds on to be their next manager. Why would anybody leave in that situation.

Archived