Why is there a language barrier?

Yeh I managed in Brazil for 9 years before moving to England.

I then signed a Portugese player that had no English, and I was asked if there would be a problem with the language barrier.

I just wrote in the comments "Eh, I speak fluent Portugese, I did manage in Brazil for 9 years!"

I imagine it is just because they don't know the local language. Why should Swedish players in Sweden speak English, just because one player cannot speak Swedish?
That sounds like a typical little Englander comment.

Why should it be a problem? While the lad is learning Swedish I would expect those that speak a common language (myself included) to use that language & intermix it with Swedish phrases to help speed up his integration.

It was something that was expected of me irl while living in Germany, at the time my German was pretty strong & another local lad had pretty good English, when a new English lad who didn't speak a stitch of German signed for our team we both helped him pick up the basics reasonably quickly by mixing up English & German until we eventually stopped using English other than when it was just the two of us speaking.

Everyone of your squad in Sweden speaks fluent english? I would imagine you have a few that dont and the game is prob picking up on them rather than those who do speak english.

Most scandinavians speak english quite well, so I would say 99% of his swedish players are english speaking. That is why I too find it strange that if a player that speaks english moves to a scandinavian club, and then meet a language barrier? It's not so. As long as he speaks english he will not have a language barrier.

Everyone of your squad in Sweden speaks fluent english? I would imagine you have a few that dont and the game is prob picking up on them rather than those who do speak english.

You make unlimited excuses for that which you love; I wish I was married to you.

I've seen this as well in an earlier incarnation of my squad.

Spanish goalkeeper (who speaks Portuguese), Argentine Left back, Portuguese right back (who speaks English), two brazilian Central defenders. I listed myself as American in this save so i could have Spanish as a spoken language.

Essentially, the entire back line + the goalkeeper speak Portuguese, except for the one Argentine player, who in theory should be able to understand basic commands in Brazilian Portuguese (I live in a Brazilian neighbourhood, and whenever i go to a restaurant i respond to the waitresses in Spanish when they speak to me in Portuguese, and we understand each other fine).

Yet 4 of the 5 players had problems with the language barrier. All 5 players should be able to understand my commands in Spanish, and they should all be able to communicate with each other in Portuguese (or possibly Spanish if it's the left fullback speaking). If it was an issue with the rest of the lineup, fine (everyone in my first eleven spoke either Spanish or Portuguese besides my English DM and English-speaking Croatian AML, but that's besides the point), but in terms of defending, it should be no issue. If anything, the poor English speakers were the ones feeling left out on match day!

Although to be fair, i had the fewest goals conceded in the league with this lineup, so maybe it wasn't an issue after all!

Archived