2nd season syndrome

why is this, i gave Wigan a go....finished respective 13th in 1st season....with a couple of additions and sales.....

2nd season, more new, much better players and more out the door....now i`m struggling....tactics and formations all the same.....i guess it could be a team-gel issue.....i know i will be sacked this season.

But what i do is add instantly as a new manager to Wigan and after a couple of seasons i am flying, if they had just been patient.....

why is this, i gave Wigan a go....finished respective 13th in 1st season....with a couple of additions and sales.....

2nd season, more new, much better players and more out the door....now i`m struggling....tactics and formations all the same.....i guess it could be a team-gel issue.....i know i will be sacked this season.

But what i do is add instantly as a new manager to Wigan and after a couple of seasons i am flying, if they had just been patient.....

Its because you overacheived in your first season so teams now see you as more of a threat so they'll play more defensively against, or play differently. So the tactic that worked in the first season is now not as effective. Upload a screenshot or tell us more about your tactic formation/team instructions/ roles duties etc and see what I can do to help :)

I dont want to sound patronising or come accross as a hardcore tactics fanboi, but it's worth remembering to treat each game on it's own merits.

Don't mindlessly stick to the same formation or set of tactics game in game out or your oppsition will quickly start countering your tactics. I generally have a selection of 4-5 standard formations/tactics I use and then adjust them before each match based on a combination of the strength of my opposition, injuries/absences, being home or away, scouting, pitch sizes, oppositions formations etc. If you struggle with formations, it's always worth checking your oppositions last few games, seeing which teams have beaten them and checking the formations they used (remember to look for teams that have beaten them at home or away depending on your next game location).

Finally, I find that transfers, particularly players in-coming really do tend to upset the apple cart and it can take upto half a season to properly bed players in. So in some cases it's worth having a season of testing tactics and establishing familairty among the squad.

Hope you start to see better results soon!

i`m sat herelaughing because you are both soooo right.....i am very stubborn and play the exact same tactic, home & away, i just change the `philosophy` v. rigid - v. fluid & the `strategy` contain to overload....

My tactics, wow, i`m glad you asked....

GK

SW- set as Libero - Attack

2x Cental Def - Def

2x WB - Auto

3 across the middle

2x Cent. Mid - Auto

1x DLP - Def...in middle of 3

1x Trequartista - Attack....behind the S

1x Poacher - Attack

all i have changed in the Team Inst. is to set the Playmaker & Target Man has the trequartista, and play ball to feet....the rest is default and changes dependant on philosophy & strategy.

try it, its awesome....i will turn this or next season round with the above, ive done this lots...but always 2nd season syndrome...

Also have to train a few people into Sweepers, currently N`Zonzi is a Baresi in the making....

thanks for interest and help shown

Richard

i`m sat herelaughing because you are both soooo right.....i am very stubborn and play the exact same tactic, home & away, i just change the `philosophy` v. rigid - v. fluid & the `strategy` contain to overload....

My tactics, wow, i`m glad you asked....

GK

SW- set as Libero - Attack

2x Cental Def - Def

2x WB - Auto

3 across the middle

2x Cent. Mid - Auto

1x DLP - Def...in middle of 3

1x Trequartista - Attack....behind the S

1x Poacher - Attack

all i have changed in the Team Inst. is to set the Playmaker & Target Man has the trequartista, and play ball to feet....the rest is default and changes dependant on philosophy & strategy.

try it, its awesome....i will turn this or next season round with the above, ive done this lots...but always 2nd season syndrome...

Also have to train a few people into Sweepers, currently N`Zonzi is a Baresi in the making....

thanks for interest and help shown

Richard

Interesting as ive never ever been able to get a Liberio to work effectively. But anyway bacsk to your tactics.

What I would try and do Is be more patient with your build up play. If teams are going to be more defensive against you because you are considered a better side you will have time on to the ball and more opportunity to move the ball about. You cant try and force an opening. Personally I would up your time wasting a bit, play a little wider to spread the play.

Also one thing I would say is having treq Attack Poacher Attack could leave a gap between your AMC and St and midfield. If your going to stick to this tactic I would use Fluid all the time. Changing your philosophy round lots will hinder how you play. Imagine if you were a player and one week your manager says stick to your position stay solid and the next week he says move around everyone get back everyone geyt forward. Would be a nightmare, so I think that will help.

Finally id say Contain/Overload are very very last ditch strategys. Personally I never go past attacking-defensive as I think it is too extreme. Stick to control for games you should be winning and counter for games where your the underdogs. Only use the other two in the most extreme circumstances.

Can be one of the most difficult things to manage overacheving. Your players are not world beaters yet are considered by the opposition to be, good luck :) hope weve helped

thanks jimbobBRFC, the slow build up and wider....are worth trying...with regards to philosophy n strategy, i dont just use he 2...i play all combinations depending on circumstances....thanks again....3@theback is gonna be the future irl

thanks jimbobBRFC, the slow build up and wider....are worth trying...with regards to philosophy n strategy, i dont just use he 2...i play all combinations depending on circumstances....thanks again....3@theback is gonna be the future irl

It is your right im toying with a 3 at the back formation at the moment. It only works in certain circumanstances though.

Let me know how you get on with the changes

Archived