Cheering up upset players

What is the best way to cheer up an upset player? I currently have the below player on my books but I just cannot seem to cheer him up. Granted, I was the cause (wouldn't give him a new contract when he asked) but I was sure I would be able to cheer him up quickly. He was only 16 afterall! I do have him contracted for another three years. This has been going on for two seasons now. Do I have any chance of cheering him up?

mullerj.png

mullerinformation.png

If things worked better, I would get him out.

Unfortunately FM doesnt have emotions. I can't tell the player every few months how I'm glad hes out of my club for being a whinebag, and that he simply wasnt performing at the level of my team.

Instead the player would just hate you because you forced him out for "no reason".

Ah, FM.

You'd be mad to sell him! Although he was transfer listed by request.

Give him more games - even if it's just 30 minutes at the end of a game, or if you're 3 goals up. Play him against the weaker sides etc. Give him a really good run.

It also helps to give him an individual team talk. And praise him privately when he plays well.

That player looks like he's ready for a first team place anyway. If you don't play him regularly you'll lose him.

If he's good enough he's old enough.

You have a wonderkid who is already good enough to play games for a big club like Dortmund and is going to be a world class player. You then reject his request of a new contract despite the fact you only pay him 110 quid a week! It is the equivalent of slave labour.

Now put the boot on the other foot. If you was in his shoes, would you be happy? No I thought not...

Can you offer him a new contract?

After I loaned him to Thun I could. No idea why. He extended for a year. He is still unhappy but it does give me an extra year to try and console him.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived