What is the corner exploit?

Always hear about it but don't know what it is, I score quite a few from corners and don't know what it is.

My corner tactic is having one of my CB's at the near post and aim it towards him and this seems a bit too successful?

I have 6 goals from corners in 5 league games so far, however Real have 5 and others having quite a few, does the AI use a tactic like so?

The AI uses the the corner delivery as "Mixed" I think. The one you're using still produces an unrealistic number of goals however there are others that can get your DC to score 40-50 goals a season. One of the recent patches has changed the way set pieces are setup though so you cannot have more than one player doing the same thing at corners other than "Go Forward" I think.

Steve Bruce once scored over 15 goals in a season at Man Utd. Last season Gary Cahill had 7 playing for Bolton by Christmas. Some centre backs do exceptionally well from set pieces.

A bit of a cheat from SI simply to "solve" the problem by preventing you from having two players going for a near post flick on!!!

Steve Bruce once scored over 15 goals in a season at Man Utd. Last season Gary Cahill had 7 playing for Bolton by Christmas. Some centre backs do exceptionally well from set pieces.

A bit of a cheat from SI simply to "solve" the problem by preventing you from having two players going for a near post flick on!!!

I never understand why some (actually a lot) of people in these forums always try to justify something odd that happens on a regular basis in the game with a 'one in a thousand' real life example. It's a bug, easy to exploit if you experiment a little bit with your corner tactics.

The game doesn't deal with exceptions. Whatever odd thing happens, it can be re-produced easily with the same setup and players with similar attributes. In real life you can see something extra ordinary from a player who is exceptionaly good at something, and we use the word 'exceptional' in those cases, by definition. In the game though, if your DC with good heading and jumping can score 20 goals from a certain setup of set-pieces, that means you can accomplish the same with hundreds of other players in the game with similar attributes.

The "corner cheat" is to set a strong striker to attack near post (like Zlatan or Drogba), aim for the near post and then have everyone else as far away from the near post as possible, leaving your man alone or with only one guy to look out for him. The keeper will stay between the far post and the centre of the goal, leaving a large gap for your striker to shoot/head at.

Since nothing can prevent that from happening, it is an exploit. Hopefully a future FM will implement multiple markers on selected opponents. As it is now the current FM cannot do that and so the problem won't go away.

i was able to overcome this by setting all my players who go forward for corners to simply "go forward"

any player that attacks the posts have a higher chance of scoring.

after i took away all the specific attacking corner roles, i scored a lot less from corners. it's more realistic that way so i'm happy. before, my centerback was my 3rd top scorer

Why does everybody use their CBs when using these corner exploits? I know they are usually tall/good at jumping but wouldn't it make more sense and produce more realistic results if you put your striker into the optimum position? Or does it have something to do with how the AI marks defenders over attackers?

I always have my strikers attacking the posts as they are the ones who have the best finishing.

You can mix it up a bit if you choose to aim at the 6 yard box and put your best headers on attacking the near and far post, and fill every forward position with other players. Sometimes one will fall to the near post, sometimes one to the "challenge GK", and more frequently the far post guys will get a stab header.

Why does everybody use their CBs when using these corner exploits? I know they are usually tall/good at jumping but wouldn't it make more sense and produce more realistic results if you put your striker into the optimum position? Or does it have something to do with how the AI marks defenders over attackers?

I always have my strikers attacking the posts as they are the ones who have the best finishing.

Strikers also perform better when the corner is too low to be headed. But you still need to have one with decent heading, and not every team has that.

I always leave mine on mixed but still can often see a cb score 10 to 15 goals a season.

take them off the posts, that's what i did. if you set everyone to simply "go forward" and 2-3 players to "stay back", you don't score that often from corners anymore. it's more realistic and enjoyable that way imo

Archived