An Idea for Future Football Manager Releases for the older Champ man ppl !! do you agree??

I have been Playing this series since the days of Championship Manager 1, and ive built up vastly experienced knowledge of the game up to now. but when I was playing those early games I was a teenager with plenty of time on my hands and the games were not that difficult but immensely fun and addictive as always.

But those days have gone and im all grown up haha! so i work long days and long shifts, and as much as I still enjoy the series and Dont have the time to put in all the effort needed to be successful in the game any more so I constantly find myself on these websites looking for quick fixes and tactics when I fancy a game on my days off. so I thought wouldn't it be a good idea if the Si guys offered an option at the start of the game where you could strip the game down to an easier setting for people who just want to play casually and still enjoy the series and use more of a plug and play version like the old days?

I know there are hardcore FM players on here who wouldn't bother with that because it wouldn't be as rewarding which they are right it wouldn't be for them....but for the old generation who dont have the time anymore but still want to enjoy the series it would be a nice option dont you think

Thoughts??

Most video games have a difficulty setting, so in that respect I don't see why not, but the FM franchise is supposed to be a football management simulation, and football management is never a simplified process.

Also, having varying degrees of difficulty would require extra coding, so as an investment in terms of time spent working on the project, I don't think it would be very viable.

I have a few mates ive played with in the past 18 years who have walked away from the series because they Dont have the time or the commitment to spend going through everything that is needed to be a success in the game and im at that point now where this could be the last time I play this game which is sad, I had this discussion with a few of them in the pub last weekend and if something like this was implemented into the game they would pick it up again so there is money to be made there.

Football Management is no simple and no matter how much you play this game or how much detail they put into it it will only ever be a "simulation" and i believe Due to the amount of detail being put into it and think it would beneficial for all areas of ppl it could be marketed to that those difficulty settings should be put in place to maximise sales revenue. but that's just my opinion

I don't think the mechanics of the game need to change necessarily to achieve what your looking for. Take my style of play for example. I always start at a team expected to challenge for the title in a reasonably high rep league, I always choose at least automatic as my starting reputation, my Assistant takes charge of reserve team and youth team contracts, opposition instructions, team talks, choosing pre season friendlies and all press conferences.

I never respond to comments from other managers unless he's the manager of one of my team's fierce rivals.

I play all my matches at maximum speed in commentary only mode. If I take my time during the close season searching for new players a season takes me 2 days maximum playing this way.

I also only ever use one tactic that I have loaded into all three slots in match prep to stop my assistant pestering me about not having enough focus on match prep, I leave the focus set to team blend all through pre-season and it's left on attacking movement all through the playing season unless I'm playing an away game in which the opposition are clear favourites to win, then it gets changed to defensive positioning I almost never use shouts and only tweak my tactic depending on the scoreline, injuries/red cards. the tactic I use I developed whilst playing fm09 and I've never had that sense of it having being 'cracked' by the ai barring one disastrous run of defeats on FM12 that got me sacked from Chelsea.

But, say you would like to play an hour a day. Just play that hour, but nowadays you just won't get as far as before in terms of game time.

Your still playing the game, it's just taking longer to do a season.

That's how I find it anyway. Problem is , it's going to take me a long long time to finish my save, I'll still not even be near to finishing the game when fm13 arrives, therefore there is not a lot of point buying it.

First of all - I totally do not agree with you (OP) :)

Second - what is it more precisely you want made easier?

Are there too many buttons to click?

Too many attributes in comparison to the first CM?

Do you want a win button?

Maybe you and your friends thinks this game has gotten harder is because you don't play it as often as you once did?

Personally, I have an easier time winning now than I did back in the CM days. But then again, I've never used any "cheat" tactics/formations. All you need to know to have success in FM12 is that quickness beats everything (maybe a bit too simplified, I know, but really not that far from the truth).

I don't think the mechanics of the game need to change necessarily to achieve what your looking for. Take my style of play for example. I always start at a team expected to challenge for the title in a reasonably high rep league, I always choose at least automatic as my starting reputation, my Assistant takes charge of reserve team and youth team contracts, opposition instructions, team talks, choosing pre season friendlies and all press conferences.

I never respond to comments from other managers unless he's the manager of one of my team's fierce rivals.

I play all my matches at maximum speed in commentary only mode. If I take my time during the close season searching for new players a season takes me 2 days maximum playing this way.

I also only ever use one tactic that I have loaded into all three slots in match prep to stop my assistant pestering me about not having enough focus on match prep, I leave the focus set to team blend all through pre-season and it's left on attacking movement all through the playing season unless I'm playing an away game in which the opposition are clear favourites to win, then it gets changed to defensive positioning I almost never use shouts and only tweak my tactic depending on the scoreline, injuries/red cards. the tactic I use I developed whilst playing fm09 and I've never had that sense of it having being 'cracked' by the ai barring one disastrous run of defeats on FM12 that got me sacked from Chelsea.

everything you have mentioned i pretty much do now, but you seem to have to start with a title challenging team...i enjoy taking low league clubs to the premiership. I remember the days on Champ man and the first versions of FM where id take the likes of Darlington into the premiership, it was probably in an unrealistic fashion but it was fun and enjoyable and you could complete a season in a day if you pushed it.

I Dont wish to take anything away from the Hardcore gamers of FM because I use to be one myself, but nowadays im just looking for something a little less stressful haha.

The Team At SI have done an amazing job with this series and it would be nice if they added a difficulty setting into it or even upload an older version from there back catalogue with an updated database to steam to download at a cheaper price that would be good. but this is all just a thought which probably wont happen Ha!

First of all, I like the idea of difficulty levels. Secondly I don't see FM as a simulator but as a game. But still, I doubt that the difficulty levels are something that the people at SI are seriously considering.

-SnUrF

Maybe you and your friends thinks this game has gotten harder is because you don't play it as often as you once did?

Personally, I have an easier time winning now than I did back in the CM days. But then again, I've never used any "cheat" tactics/formations. All you need to know to have success in FM12 is that quickness beats everything (maybe a bit too simplified, I know, but really not that far from the truth).

First of all Dont be Ignorant! the game gets more in-depth every season and more things have to be thought about which hence becomes more time consuming! and yes some of us Dont have as much time to play on it because we have lives to live. i made a simple point that the SI team could offer a simple respite like you have had in the history of games (easy, Hard)

First of all, I like the idea of difficulty levels. Secondly I don't see FM as a simulator but as a game. But still, I doubt that the difficulty levels are something that the people at SI are seriously considering.

-SnUrF

totally agree with you about simulator/game, and yes i highly doubt they would consider it, but the idea of them using one of there back catalogue infrastructures with an updated database at a cheaper price would be a nice idea

As I've had over a decade of more or less succesful struggle with this franchise, I just might buy such an oldies cm/fm with up to date database. But still, not sure if it would be 'economically reasonable' for SI to produce such thing.

-SnUrF

Being ignorant? Where? You say you want the game to be easier but you don't give any solutions. I was just trying to help your post being constructive instead of being one big moan.

This has never been a moan at all, if you look at my posts i have applauded SI for there amazing work on the series, and how much i used to love playing it, and if you re read my original post it will show how long ive been a Fan, the idea behind this whole thing was that the series is old and original users like myself have been playing this series for many years, and Dont have the time to put into it but would still like to play when we can. you gave no thoughts only stupid ideas like a "Win button" my post was for ppl who had similar thoughts if you are a enjoy all aspects of the current FM and dont have a problem with it and have enough time to put into the game, great!, then my post wasn't for you!!!!

As I've had over a decade of more or less succesful struggle with this franchise, I just might buy such an oldies cm/fm with up to date database. But still, not sure if it would be 'economically reasonable' for SI to produce such thing.

-SnUrF

i thought in a more download only capacity which would cost next to nothing if you get my meaning?

This has never been a moan at all, if you look at my posts i have applauded SI for there amazing work on the series, and how much i used to love playing it, and if you re read my original post it will show how long ive been a Fan, the idea behind this whole thing was that the series is old and original users like myself have been playing this series for many years, and Dont have the time to put into it but would still like to play when we can. you gave no thoughts only stupid ideas like a "Win button" my post was for ppl who had similar thoughts if you are a enjoy all aspects of the current FM and dont have a problem with it and have enough time to put into the game, great!, then my post wasn't for you!!!!

I've never questioned your love for the game, but seriously if you want changes you must admit you need to give suggestions to how this could be made faster. An easy/hard button just don't do it.

Yea, got the idea of disributing it via steam. But still it would need some work hours on SI's side to put it together. So they'd need some income from it for it to be meaningful for them.

-SnUrF

I've never questioned your love for the game, but seriously if you want changes you must admit you need to give suggestions to how this could be made faster. An easy/hard button just don't do it.

Ive made suggestions, they purpose behind the easy hard button is turning off certain factors of the game on the tactics side using coding from the old infrastructures of previous versions and linking them, or offering an older version of the game with an updated database which is downloadable only so there is virtually no extra cost to the company and they get retail sales for the main version and online sales for main version and extra money from the older version

Ive made suggestions, they purpose behind the easy hard button is turning off certain factors of the game on the tactics side using coding from the old infrastructures of previous versions and linking them, or offering an older version of the game with an updated database which is downloadable only so there is virtually no extra cost to the company and they get retail sales for the main version and online sales for main version and extra money from the older version

I didn't read that in your first two posts, but ok...

Using the FM database in the CM franchise isn't an easy task as there is a lot more information now. I actually think it would be easier to make a whole new database.

If you start removing certain factors in the game it quite surely will have huge impacts on other parts as well making the game too hard/easy/generally screw things up. I think it would be easier to program a whole new game if you want that to happen. And SI would never make two games that would compete with each other.

Yep, it's not an easy task to satisfy everyone :)

I agree with you mickeylad about the simpler format, having played since cm2 i used to buzz through a season in 90 minutes on a 64mb ram computer now i'm lucky if i can get through a month on fm12 in the same time on 3gb ram computer, i would like a simpler format added even a sandbox option like you get in plenty of other games. Its always going to be something that devides the players of the game. Some like to spend that little extra time tweaking the minute details others like to go for the download and play and the rest like to mix and match.

I have been Playing this series since the days of Championship Manager 1, and ive built up vastly experienced knowledge of the game up to now. but when I was playing those early games I was a teenager with plenty of time on my hands and the games were not that difficult but immensely fun and addictive as always.

But those days have gone and im all grown up haha! so i work long days and long shifts, and as much as I still enjoy the series and Dont have the time to put in all the effort needed to be successful in the game any more so I constantly find myself on these websites looking for quick fixes and tactics when I fancy a game on my days off. so I thought wouldn't it be a good idea if the Si guys offered an option at the start of the game where you could strip the game down to an easier setting for people who just want to play casually and still enjoy the series and use more of a plug and play version like the old days?

I know there are hardcore FM players on here who wouldn't bother with that because it wouldn't be as rewarding which they are right it wouldn't be for them....but for the old generation who dont have the time anymore but still want to enjoy the series it would be a nice option dont you think

Thoughts??

if you want an easy casual game just go play Championship Manager.

I agree with you mickeylad about the simpler format, having played since cm2 i used to buzz through a season in 90 minutes on a 64mb ram computer now i'm lucky if i can get through a month on fm12 in the same time on 3gb ram computer, i would like a simpler format added even a sandbox option like you get in plenty of other games. Its always going to be something that devides the players of the game. Some like to spend that little extra time tweaking the minute details others like to go for the download and play and the rest like to mix and match.

Nice to know someone thinks along the same lines as me, Sandbox option was the word I was looking for!. nice one. I started this thread as a simple thought not to be taken too seriously, I wasn't trying to start a petition or rally the veterans to mount an attack! certain folk on here are acting like ive walked into the SI Office and Pi**ed in there morning Coffee's haha. (Long Live CM2 hehe)

Just to put this out there (and I won't include any links to where the updates are in case moderators think I'm spamming / promoting), but you can , if you have it, install Championship Manager 01/02 and update it to 2012 using date updates in case you didn't know.

And about 'compatibly' just run under Windows compatibility mode.

Just to put this out there (and I won't include any links to where the updates are in case moderators think I'm spamming / promoting), but you can , if you have it, install Championship Manager 01/02 and update it to 2012 using date updates in case you didn't know.

And about 'compatibly' just run under Windows compatibility mode.

cheers mate, will have a go!

I don't want variable difficulty, we all can adjust our level of challenge with team choice and the like.

What I would like is the ability to toggle things on/off. Who wouldn't want to toggle off press conferences, team talks and the like? Instantly speed up the game and remove all the tedious bits.

As somebody else has said, try out the iOS or PSP versions.

I've personally had a go on the iPad, and the game is a far different experience to that on the PC. I only started playing the game in FM '05, so can't attest that it is exactly like the earlier Champ Managers, but the iOS version is certainly stripped down from the modern iterations.

FM has become ridiculous over the past versions with its in depth detail that doesn't appeal to the casual gamers such as myself.

Anyone remember the good old days where the training category consisted of Fitness, Goalkeeping, Defending, Attacking, Shooting & set pieces only? Also the sliders where literally none - light - medium - heavy.

The tactics where simple & the arrow system was straight to the point. Nowadays setting the team mentality, creative freedom, defensive line, etc.. has literally like 20 notches or so!

Honestly, make it simple, get to the point without the 20 notches :(

FM has become ridiculous over the past versions with its in depth detail that doesn't appeal to the casual gamers such as myself.

Anyone remember the good old days where the training category consisted of Fitness, Goalkeeping, Defending, Attacking, Shooting & set pieces only? Also the sliders where literally none - light - medium - heavy.

The tactics where simple & the arrow system was straight to the point. Nowadays setting the team mentality, creative freedom, defensive line, etc.. has literally like 20 notches or so!

Honestly, make it simple, get to the point without the 20 notches :(

There are already pre made training - it doesn't get much simpler than that.

Why don't you use the tactical creator? There are no notches to fiddle with. Just a drop down menu with few choices... It's very simple and quick.

Mickeylad, I understand your problem but I think there is a solution within the confines of the existing game. If I get you right you don't get to play very often & you would like to get through the seasons quicker with less micro-management. Fine; that's exactly what I do.

When you start your game with the new club there is no easy fix, you must devote your time to establishing tactics, finding better players, decent back-room staff etc. Once this is set up, do this:

- Have your Assman attend all press conferences, do team talks, etc. He screws up every now & again, but no big deal.

- Set to go on holiday on every game day, refuse transfer offers, follow set tactics, etc. This way the actual game day takes about 30 seconds, no match to watch, You can watch the goal highlights if you wish.

The season passes very quickly, your team develops, you keep an eye on anything that needs tweaking, scout players, etc. Altogether a more "hands-off" experience. I admire folk who take a lot of time to sort out set-piece strategies, watch the games & shout touch-line stuff, etc. but I simply do not have the spare time, or inclination to do this. Horses for courses!

Give it a go Mickeylad!

if you want an easy casual game just go play Championship Manager.

Unhelpful response of the thread and a response that adresses zero of the OPs concerns. Some of the boring, repetitive and gamey features of FM should be allowed to be disabled at games start or toggled on and off during the off-season...along with various rules; like number of subs on the bench etc.

TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED ON MY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for all your thoughts and opinions on this matter, but I believe there is a massive divide between the veterans from the Championship Manager 1/2 days to the Football manager days, and although I do warrant and listen out of respect for the hardcore opinion of the FM generation I will only listen to the Championship manager players from the 90's because they have seen the progression of changes that the series has undertaken, i think that is only fair, sorry.

IOS??? sorry, i have it on my iphone and plays worse than Champ man 97/98 season!!

BOLULU: thankyou for your opinion and advice on how to make the game pass over quicker but going on holiday for games undermines the point of playing in the first place.

18/19 years have passed over the whole series of CM/FM so long in fact its allowed 2 different generations to enjoy the game which is amazing!, but i think for the older generation its become a ball & Chain, too much to keep up with, and too committed in its own infrastructure to the point when Premiership Managers such as Harry Redknapp and David Moyes Admit to playing it for the purpose of Scouting and tactic creating. In my opinion Football manager has surpassed its self to the point where it is no longer a game....BUT A SECOND JOB.

I played since CM 01... During CM02 Freddy Guarin was my best friend, and he was a wonderkid (sadly, real life did not favor him as such, despite his Potuguese job). To prove my "veteranness" I jsut have two words: "Evandro Roncatto". Veterans will know. you kids, will never understand.

So, my early 30's were spent addicted to the game, my fresh young wife loathing it every minute... I had to climb the corporate ladder, raise kids, and do all that 'adult stuff'. Somewhere along the way, 2010, I believe, I stopped buying the yearly release. Now in my 40's, I find once again I have a bit of time available, and approached FM once again.

First of all, What the hell is up with steam? what a piece of garbage way to distribute the game.

second, it is frustrating to realize I spend 20 minutes of real time answering all sorts of nitpick questions, setting up all sorts of options, and I still haven't made it to the first game of the season....

There has to be a way to let all that stuff go to AI if wanted... after all, the game simulates all of that for all the OTHER teams in the league, doesn't it? I don't see how that requires SI people to put in a hundred hours of overtime.

let us do what we did in the old days... set match tactics, do contracts, build your squad.... AI whatever else I want.

And our generation has the money to buy lots of copies...

I think you totally did not understand the topic...but anyway on-topic @OP:

I recommend the PSP version for your purposes.

I can't see why you couldn't just plop in CM 01/02 and play that? I don't even think a database update is really necessary - I find playing with a team full of old heroes is quite fun. Arsenal with Overmars, Bergkamp and Henry in it? Yes man! And even the odd Tonton/Sigthorsson/Roncatto type "cheat" players ... it wasn't realistic, but it was fun though, wasn't it? So you just play any old version of CM you want, and keep the database as it were.

You can do what i did: edit the comps.fmf file (extract it with the data viewer or whatever it's called, i'm away from my computer at the moment), then edit the contents and put it in your My Documents/SI/FM folder).

I changed it so that the English leagues played round-robin fixtures (teams play each other once instead of twice). Saves you 19 games per season if you're in the top flight, or 23 games if you're in the Championship!

(Just be careful with your wage/transfer budget!)

• 2 weeks later...

I think an immersive Football Manager (now) is better than Championship Manager (then), which I feel was too simplified...

I have a busy work schedule, however I always make time to play a game or two everyday.

Archived