Career Threatening Injuries

I know there aren’t any injuries of the David Busst, career ending kind in FM; but are there any injuries that can effectively put paid to the potential of a player?

I have a youngster that has picked up a knee cartilage injury. Is this likely to stunt his chances of developing and reaching his PA? If not, are there any other injuries in the game that might have this effect that I should be watching out for and fretting about?

Any injury which can recur is a pretty serious injury and could dent the player's chances to reach his PA. I'm managing FC Zwolle right now in Holland and in my first season I signed a young lad who has been a great player but who has recurring spine and knee problems. He's also been injured something like 15 times on international duty. I'm sure that is why he will never be seen as truly world class...

Any injury which can recur is a pretty serious injury and could dent the player's chances to reach his PA. I'm managing FC Zwolle right now in Holland and in my first season I signed a young lad who has been a great player but who has recurring spine and knee problems. He's also been injured something like 15 times on international duty. I'm sure that is why he will never be seen as truly world class...

Unfortunatly, SI have a pulled hamstring as reoccurring. Not very realistic IMO.

Unfortunatly, SI have a pulled hamstring as reoccurring. Not very realistic IMO.

That must be the only injury he hasn't got yet then...

About 1/2 hour ago he stayed fit for long enough to score the winning penalty against Man Utd in the Champs League Final. But he has yet to play 35 games or more in a year, compared to a young keeper signed at the same time who has only missed 1 game.

It's realistic if not treated properly. If you start playing again before it's 100% healed, it will pull again. This is from personal experience. That being said, a professional football team shouldn't have that problem.
I'd have thought hamstrings are one of the most common re-occuring injuries.

To my mind, reoccurring refers to one injury coming back again and again. Hamstrings heal pretty quickly. Just about every athlete has pulled a hamstring once. Does this mean that it is bound to happen again and again? Not to my mind.

To my mind, reoccurring refers to one injury coming back again and again. Hamstrings heal pretty quickly. Just about every athlete has pulled a hamstring once. Does this mean that it is bound to happen again and again? Not to my mind.

Once you cause any damage to a muscle it can become permanently weaker and susceptible to further damage, this is also from personal experience although not quite the same as just a muscle pull, I tore a muscle in my right shoulder years ago, never got it properly seen to and it still randomly tears now over ten years later. Of course as has been previously mentioned the medical facilities available to professional footballers these days should minimise the risk of a muscular injury becoming recurrent but the other side of that is that they are involved in a physically intense fairly high impact sport were I'm guessing multiple sprains, strains and pulls of particular muscles to one player (especially in the legs) are fairly common place.

Michael Owen is the most famous example of that being a reoccuring injury.

Owen was likely using some sort of PED...

Ironically, one injury that can definitely be reoccurring is a concussion..but its not listed as such in the DB :p

Archived