What monitor/TV size do you use?

What is the size of your monitor/TV?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What is the size of your monitor/TV?

• Less than 15"
    • 16-19"
    • 20-23"
    • 25-37"
    • Larger than 38"

I think that HDMI-connected TVs become more and more common, so I wonder if this is the future of the PC or not. The poll asks the size of your monitor or computer, but not what resolution you run with it and if you are happy with the way FM is displayed on your screen, or how far you are sitting from it.

I use a 47" TV and I sit roughly 1,5 meters from it. Personally, I would like not only bigger font but larger "boxes" so that less information is displayed at a time. I went from 1080p resolution to 768 and it helps, but the text is a little blurry and there are still large unused gaps in some windows.

Maybe this thread may help motivate SI to create better solutions for those of us who are sitting a bit farther away from the screen than most.

I play the game on a laptop (17" screen) so this poll is not for me, but i would like to ask something.

The problem that you talk about, small fonts and "boxes", can't be "fixed" with with a different skin? Perhaps in the community this is something that can be easily made?

I play the game on a laptop (17" screen) so this poll is not for me, but i would like to ask something.

The problem that you talk about, small fonts and "boxes", can't be "fixed" with with a different skin? Perhaps in the community this is something that can be easily made?

I haven't seen skins that completely rework the size of the buttons and "boxes" in 1920x1080 resolution. I haven't looked in a while, though. If you know about one, please show me :)

I haven't seen skins that completely rework the size of the buttons and "boxes" in 1920x1080 resolution. I haven't looked in a while, though. If you know about one, please show me :)

I dont know if there is a skin already made for that purpose, because as i said before i play in a 17" laptop. What i mean was, perhaps it could be easy for any skin maker to do a skin 100% dedicated for players that play the game in a large TV (40" and above).

Perhaps your poll will show us if there is a target group for this kind of skin.

I play on a 47" in windowed mode. I have my desktop set to 1440x900 as any other resolution I find it impossable to read anything (not just FM). Saying that though any other game in fullscreen is perfectly playable in 1920x1080 ie. Skyrim, F1 2011

I play on a 47" in windowed mode. I have my desktop set to 1440x900 as any other resolution I find it impossable to read anything (not just FM). Saying that though any other game in fullscreen is perfectly playable in 1920x1080 ie. Skyrim, F1 2011

Last time I tried Windowed mode lots of information was lost from the screen. For example the full list of training areas, making it necessary to click on auto-select or switch to full-screen mode. Has this been fixed in later patches?

Interesting thread, I occasionally play on my 42in tv but generally it's on a 19in monitor. with regards to bigger font's, smaller boxes etc. I made a thread in the skinning forum asking if it was possible to make moveable and resizable panels rather than a fixed skin, whilst this is mainly aimed at multi-monitor setups I feel it would also work on large screen displays as you resize and shift items to where the were best for you.

I play 21.5" monitor I believe with 1920 x 1080 resolution, I would play on my HD 32" TV but for some reason I can not get the resolution to go as high as on my monitor, and for me resolution over size :D

I play 21.5" monitor I believe with 1920 x 1080 resolution, I would play on my HD 32" TV but for some reason I can not get the resolution to go as high as on my monitor, and for me resolution over size :D

Probably HD-ready then. My TV supports 1920x1080p and it is my main monitor. I have an ancient non-widescreen monitor as backup.

bigdaddydave: yes I agree. I hope customization of the panels themselves is extended even further in the coming years. Bigger font only helps so much - I need bigger "buttons" - so that for instance the whole option to click on either Player Search or Shortlist in the Player Search window becomes much larger... at least twice as large as they are in 1920x1080 now. Currently the 1920x1080 resolution option leaves 1/3rd of the available space unused.

How big are normal PC monitors nowadays anyway?

I assumed the 20-24 (not 20-23) category would be the last where we're talking monitors. 25 and up should be TVs, so I suppose most in that category would have 32-37" TVs since that's the smallest of that kind these days.

So in other words, of the currently 84 voters 24% play on TVs. It would be interesting to know how far those doing so are sitting from their TV while playing FM, what resolution they use and if their current PC/TV setup yields a satisfactory result.

For those not using TVs, how far are your faces from the screen when you're playing? Would you rather have bigger text/boxes and thus less information on each screen, or are you happy with the current system which gives good oversight and not too much mouse-clicking?

A thread where i can brag about my monitor, eh? :D

27" Acer monitor...i play FM windowed, let it take up most of the screen. The rest of the screen is used to watch TV via my TV Tuner card and online streams.

Everything else i do is on my laptop (separate, but they both share the mouse and keyboard using MouseWithoutBorders).

A thread where i can brag about my monitor, eh? :D

27" Acer monitor...i play FM windowed, let it take up most of the screen. The rest of the screen is used to watch TV via my TV Tuner card and online streams.

Everything else i do is on my laptop (separate, but they both share the mouse and keyboard using MouseWithoutBorders).

Didn't even know they came that large!

Do you lose information playing in windowed mode not using the whole screen for that window?

1920x1080 21.5" or at home a 23" 2048x1152.

Find it absolutely fine tbh, probably sitting about 50cm from the screen. I wish they'd cram some more information into the unused space sometimes, but FM12 is worlds ahead of FM11 in that regard. FM is clearly designed for close up play on a PC monitor, all of the text is far too small to be legible on a TV from the typical distances that they're used from.

I would never want to sacrifice resolution if I could possibly avoid it, desperately wish I could get a 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 but out of my price range sadly.

1920x1080 21.5" or at home a 23" 2048x1152.

Find it absolutely fine tbh, probably sitting about 50cm from the screen. I wish they'd cram some more information into the unused space sometimes, but FM12 is worlds ahead of FM11 in that regard. FM is clearly designed for close up play on a PC monitor, all of the text is far too small to be legible on a TV from the typical distances that they're used from.

I would never want to sacrifice resolution if I could possibly avoid it, desperately wish I could get a 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 but out of my price range sadly.

Yes my hope is that I could in the future activate some sort of "TV display mode" in the resolution preferences and thus have bigger and fewer options on-screen, since in 1080 resolution they become ridiculously small on a 47" from nearly two meters away. In other words more a CM94ish UI than FM12. That's how big the boxes and text must be if I'm not going to go blind...

Yes my hope is that I could in the future activate some sort of "TV display mode" in the resolution preferences and thus have bigger and fewer options on-screen, since in 1080 resolution they become ridiculously small on a 47" from nearly two meters away. In other words more a CM94ish UI than FM12. That's how big the boxes and text must be if I'm not going to go blind...

I don't think it's just your eyes you need to be worried about, think about your neck. Do you use that TV for everything on your PC?

I don't think it's just your eyes you need to be worried about, think about your neck. Do you use that TV for everything on your PC?

I am sitting quite comfortably in my good chair so my neck is fine thank you :)

Yes I use the TV as a monitor. It is wired to the cable, the dvd/bluray and the xbox too :p But I don't use it much for watching TV. I'd rather watch what I want when I want, via the PC.

Archived