what happens when a big team gets relegated

say somewhere down man utd got relegated for example.

apart from their wage/ transfer budget being cut what else happens to them?

does their stadium and faculties go down in value and the number of fans visited the game also decrease?

Most things in this game is down to rep. Unfortunately the rep system doesn't work properly. In my game - even though I've been the best team for the last ten seasons (won league and cup and done much better in Europe each year) my club is only second in the national reputation list. Just as when I started the game...

So helpful in the context of this thread.........

In answer to the OP, their attendances will drop, they will lose masses of money, if they go into financial problems their facilities will suffer in the long run and their reputation will take a big hit, which will mean players will want to leave or not stay amongst various other things.

In my save rep is awful. For some reason in the summer of 2021 Aston Villa have become the best team in the country. In the ten seasons they won ZERO cups and the highest league finish was 6th. The have no sugar daddy or anything like that. I cant figure it out.

To make it worse, Man City fouth in Prem, won 5 in row, the manager walks out to take over at Villa who are 17th.

A couple of years earlier Alex McLeish got Norwich promoted to Prem, he left two days later for prem side West Ham. But the hammers had finished 19th so for the new season his old club would be a prem side, his new club a championship side??!! hmmm

Anyhow back on topic....

Attendences and income drop a fair bit and your always best to get out a calculator because most clubs will massive over budget your actual income. Facilities struggle in the long term but short term they stay as they are. If they are state of the art then they still will be no matter your league.

So helpful in the context of this thread.........

ayh, isn't it the all knowing wannabe mod mr. milnerpoint himself.....

Yes, my reply was helpful in this context as it has to do with the influence of reputation in the game.

If man utd would be relegated I actually don't think the hit would be as harsh as you describe because the rep system doesn't work as well (as I described in #4). They would still amaze a high sponsor support (even though the decline would have taken years), they would still be able to get very good players and so on. The only real negative would be they wouldn't get money from TV deals and playing in Europe.

Sadly, the answer is not enough to make a lot of difference. Attendances would be down a bit, finances take a hit, a few of the 1st team players leave and a lot less players will want to join. However, Schalke (not that big but still big enough) went down, still managed to keep hold of most of their better players including Holtby and needless to say they easily got back up and are now a midtable top division outfit. Not enough players kick up a fuss if a team go's down. They might complain while near the bottom of a league but when they are near the top of the next league down , they seem to go happy again.

Sadly, the answer is not enough to make a lot of difference. Attendances would be down a bit, finances take a hit, a few of the 1st team players leave and a lot less players will want to join. However, Schalke (not that big but still big enough) went down, still managed to keep hold of most of their better players including Holtby and needless to say they easily got back up and are now a midtable top division outfit. Not enough players kick up a fuss if a team go's down. They might complain while near the bottom of a league but when they are near the top of the next league down , they seem to go happy again.

With West Ham going down last season i would have my house on the fact that the like of Green, Cole, Parker etc would have left by January at latest but no, in general the squad is as good if not better than last year. They must have the best midfield in the league. The like of Nolan, Collison, Taylor and Noble would walk into most prem sides from 8th down.

Being relegated doesnt mean all the players gonna kick up and make a fuss. Yeah you should get the 'Defoe' type, handing in a transfer request while still wearing the club kit.

From my FM time when 'big' clubs go down it tends to build over a few years anyhow, the quality of the squad and the league positions decline over two or three years and then its boom, relegated. In my saves they tend to do a 'West Brom', yo-yo for a couple of years then establish thenselves as a prem side again.

ayh, isn't it the all knowing wannabe mod mr. milnerpoint himself.....

Yes, my reply was helpful in this context as it has to do with the influence of reputation in the game.

If man utd would be relegated I actually don't think the hit would be as harsh as you describe because the rep system doesn't work as well (as I described in #4). They would still amaze a high sponsor support (even though the decline would have taken years), they would still be able to get very good players and so on. The only real negative would be they wouldn't get money from TV deals and playing in Europe.

Well i have taken over a relegated Man U, i think it was FM10, trust me the difference to managing them in the EPL is huge, players that usually would fall over themselves would not look at signing for me, every big player wanted to leave which caused huge squad disruptions, your right the sponsorship deals did not go down, but thats because they are contracts made before the team went down, most likely 2-3 years before when relegation was not in the horizon, but if you were to stay there your next kit deal would be for a hell of a lot less. Attendances also suffered hugely, Old Trafford was barely half full for most games, i would need to see if i still have the save but i remember averaging about 30,000, as you can imagine it was a game that stood out because its not often you get the chance to take over united in the championship.

Well i have taken over a relegated Man U, i think it was FM10, trust me the difference to managing them in the EPL is huge, players that usually would fall over themselves would not look at signing for me, every big player wanted to leave which caused huge squad disruptions, your right the sponsorship deals did not go down, but thats because they are contracts made before the team went down, most likely 2-3 years before when relegation was not in the horizon, but if you were to stay there your next kit deal would be for a hell of a lot less. Attendances also suffered hugely, Old Trafford was barely half full for most games, i would need to see if i still have the save but i remember averaging about 30,000, as you can imagine it was a game that stood out because its not often you get the chance to take over united in the championship.

I haven't myself played a relegated former top team - only watched on the byline as top teams slowly decade (and rise again). And with Things Could Get Messis describtion it seems that the rep system must have changed since your experience in FM10. Also how long did it take for Man Utd to get relegated in your save? I guess they would have been on the decline for years (before relegation) and as such they should have taken a rep hit that would have lowered their sponsorship deals and possibility to sign big name players.

But maybe you only have any rep changes if win tournaments/cups or get relegated? On the other hand, as I describe, winning doesn't seem to make much of a deal...

On the contrary for the best part the rep system works better now than it did then, if you have encountered a bug thats unfortunate, but it doesnt mean the entire system is flawed.

In my current save i am Aberdeen, 22 seasons in, just won my first champions league. Because of my success and others in the nation the top 6 are now filled with various international players, from british, european and further afield, when you start the game thats just not possible. I am now able to compete with the top teams in Europe for players, although i cant pay the wages they want so i dont sign the worlds best, but they will talk to me if make an offer that is accepted, again not possible when you start. Most of the teams have not really won anything except for the odd cup here and there over the course of the 22 seasons, nothing that would make a dramatic change to their reputation, but because of good performances in Europe the top 6 in Scotland are now all in the top 25 of Europe, again when you start these teams are nowhere near close to that, so their reputation must be increasing without trophey success.

IIRC the Man U game was about 6/7 seasons in, when i took over Rooney and Ronaldo were still at the club and young enough to sell for decent fee's. Again if i remember right they just had one shocking season, lost their first 10 games or something and never recovered, sacked two managers in a season as well which i had never seen. It was a sharp decline from being in Europe one year to being relegated the next.

Archived