Players not learning languages in foreign countries

I'm managing in England and have a few Brazilians at a club on loan in Zagreb in Croatia to pick up a work permit.

They have been there for the time they have to be in order to be eligible for a permit but cant speak basic Croatian. There are not given Croatian nationality.

Ive never had this before, is it a bug?

What happens if they never learn it?

To be honest, why would a player on loan just to gain a work permit bother learning the language? In your example, I'd want them to learn English, but if they didn't get any Croation, who cares?

He implied that the player didnt get Croatian nationality (the reason to send him there in the first place) because he didnt learn the language. And if thats the case then yes we do care.

To be honest, why would a player on loan just to gain a work permit bother learning the language? In your example, I'd want them to learn English, but if they didn't get any Croation, who cares?

Its almost impossible not to learn basic anything if you are living there.

Tevez barely speaks basic English, so does Anderson at Man U, living somewhere does not mean you can speak the language by default.

You admit that they can speak basic English

And your examples are pretty poor. Those two earn millions and can afford to isolate themselves. Most cant. I actually live in a place where millions of people are not native English speakers. Yet just about everyone has a basic understanding of the language. They need to to work and survive.

He implied that the player didnt get Croatian nationality (the reason to send him there in the first place) because he didnt learn the language. And if thats the case then yes we do care.

yeah, sorry I thought I made that clear. Your right, thats my problem. I'll keep him there another year and see if that helps, I'm just worried thats going to slow down his development.

Whats even more peverse is that I've a South African player who has been there a shorter amount of time and he speaks basic Croatian. The problem seems to be with the Brazilian players I have there.

They have to spend 2 years in the country to get the work permit, of course they should bother to learn the language! Especially if learning the language is a prerequisite for getting the work permit.

Could be the hidden adaptibility attribute. You know in the scout reports how it says ' this player would find it easy to adapt to living in another country'. Sounds like you have the opposite of that. Seems to be fairly common among brazilians from experience.

Well your assistant will say in his pre match advice that 'player' is having trouble communicating with others because of the language barrier.

Sure they can still play well, especialy if it's a future star playing in the croatian leagues. I imagine they would play even better if they knew the language.

Fair point, I didn't know how long he had to keep them there. After 2 years, they'd be practically fluent, I'd think.

Adaptability is certainly at play. I wonder if age is also a factor? I'm sure it is in real life, though that might not be in the game. I suspect a bug.

Archived