Managing National Team Help

In all my years of playing FM, i've never been offered a national team job...until now! I'll be taking over Switzerland in 2017 in my current Sutton Utd -> Watford -> Liverpool save.

I've never looked at this part of the game, so i have some questions.

Do i need to select U21/U19 players as well, or will the U21/U19 manager do it?

Do i have any sort of advantage in signing Swiss players to Liverpool?

If i happened to start signing Swiss players to my club team, would that help their tactical familiarity if i use a similar tactic with the national team?

Any other help or suggestions is also appreciated. Thanks!

You do not have to chose youth players but the U21/U19 won't touch any players you have already selected for the senior team.

You can to on the Swiss player's favourite's list, making them easier to sign, but being a player's favourite is no guarantee to them signing.

What you may do is sign up Swiss youth players to Liverpool to help assist them develop to their potential and help them be good enough for the Swiss national team. You may also like to make the Swiss league active to improve the number and quality of players to pick from.

In most National teams I've managed I've signed their youth players to my club team. That said, I normally manage Nations without a large player pool to work with aka Jamaica, Australia etc. I often sign youngsters with potential after they have been released. This prevents them retiring while being uncontracted and being replaced by worse regens. Often these youngsters aren't good enough for my club team but I train them up a bit and then loan them out to get some football and increase their skills.

I remember in a previous version the only DL and GK I had for Jamaica were youngsters and both got released, so I managed to keep them in the game by signing them and while they weren't world beaters the got up to a good enough level for the competition Jamaica normally play.

Archived