Am I losing my mind/not understanding Home Grown rule?

This bug still seems to be in FM12 on the CL squad selection page players who are assigned 0-21 home grown status not counting as a HG player while players who are given 15-21 are counted?

This ruined FM11 for me and seems to be creeping back into FM12 as I progress, am I going mad, not getting the rule or what... is it just me?

I think you can work around this if you deselect a few players from the registration screen. The number of players not registered will make up for those players that lack homegrown status. This is useful if, at the beginning of the game, your club is lacking home grown players (trained at the club for so- and so- many years before turning 21).

Thanks for the replies, I wish to post a Screenshot I have hosted on the web to explain more clearly, how do I do this?

Put "[ i m g ]" and "[ / i m g ]" On either side of direct link to image, remove the quotes and spaces though.

hgrule.jpg

hmm it's not very big, Go here look at a bigger version http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4032/hgrule.jpg

Look at this player

James Barwick (Eng) - the tooltip when I hover over his status says (Trained at Nation 0-21) "Has been trained at this nation for 3 years before 21st birthday - Therefore he should clearly have green home grown status 'Same nation as club' but he has nothing despite meeting the criteria his 6 seasons as a pro have all been spent under the contract of English clubs.

The game for some reason as it did in FM11 is handing out 'Trained at Nation 0-21 status' to some players as opposed to 15-21 (which work fine), 0-21 is not being recognized on the European page as a same nation player. This is clearly a bug right SI? or do Uefa rules genuinely in some cases not recognize some English players who have been under contract to English clubs their whole lives as same nation players?

hgstatus.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hgstatusbergstrmhistory.png

hgstatusgiltonhistory.png

hgstatuscocciahistory.png

The first screenshot shows the hg-status of my team. Note Bergstrøm, Gilton and Coccia, 22 and 21 years old respectively. The second screenshot shows that Bergstrøm is correctly hg-club since he arrived when he was 17 and has stayed with me since. Gilton turned 18 27th of May 2016 and joined me in June since I signed him from Brazil. This means that June 2019 he had been at my club for three consecutive years and had just turned 21 in May - so according to the rules he should be hg-club for me but he isn't. I suspect the reason he isn't is that he stayed 3 years at Cruzeiro before joining me. This fits with Bergstrøm staying just two seasons in Sweden. Then look at Coccia's history. Since he was loaned out the third season he was contracted to Fiorentina he wouldn't have become home-grown for them before joining me. Still he is HG 0-21 and therefore won't count as homegrown in UEFA's cups. He is not 22 years yet, though, so perhaps the 16th of March he will turn HG 15-21. Here's me hoping...

The three year qualification period for Champions League eligibility has to be completed before the players' 21st birthday,

The season in which he turns 21 is also counted.

Suppose a player turns 21 on November 1, 2011. The entire 2011/12 season is counted for determining homegrown status. So he must have joined the club no later than the beginning of the 2009/10 season and stayed with the club for the 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2011/12 seasons in order to be homegrown at the end of the 2011/12 season.

If he was born on July 1, 2011, he has to complete his 3 seasons by the end of the 2010/11 season. So he must have joined the club no later than the beginning of the 2008/09 season and stayed with the club for the 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons in order to be homegrown at the end of the 2010/11 season.

A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of

the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during

which he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been

registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire

seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant

national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant

national championship) or of 36 months.

An “association-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the

start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of

the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of his

nationality and age, has been registered with a club or with other clubs

affiliated to the same association as that of his current club for a period,

continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months.

Archived