Football manager? Should have been called moral & team talk manager...

For me, moral plays FAR too important a part in the game/results and is way too temperamental. You can build yourself the best side in the world, but if a few guys get a bit upset at something you say in a team talk, you can go on the worlds worst losing streak. For me, it's the most annoying (and one of the most unrealistic) parts of the game. I hope it gets treated with much more perspective in future games.

agreed, I was top of the championship with Southampton and I gave 1 bad team talk (I think Taarabt would complain about anything though) and the next game every single players morale was abysmal and I lost 3 in a row. I don't mind losing the games, that happens, but I doubt 1 loss and 1 team talk makes the entire squad suicidal.

Man i'm NEVER signing Taarabt again! Signed him for 1m for my newly promoted Reading side. I've NEVER come across such a big baby in all my years of playing! I've got Tevez in my Arsenal side now, and even he's not that bad! He just tends to not take any notice of what you say. Taarabt will spit his dummy out & start giving you 5.0 rating performances for the smallest thing!

*Taarabt rant over* :D

For me, moral plays FAR too important a part in the game/results and is way too temperamental. You can build yourself the best side in the world, but if a few guys get a bit upset at something you say in a team talk, you can go on the worlds worst losing streak. For me, it's the most annoying (and one of the most unrealistic) parts of the game. I hope it gets treated with much more perspective in future games.

Not sure I agree. Probably because I never go on losing streaks :D

On a new game I thought I would ask a senior pro to tutor Ravel Morrison off the pitch. He refused to be tutored by all the senior players I chose and his morale dropped to abysmal with him being critical of my choice of player to tutor him. I gave him 5 choices!!! Now his morale is rock bottom and I though the Manager was meant to be in charge!!!

While morale and form is very important in football, and the team is often affected by it as a whole in the end, there should be much more individual variation visible on the pitch. If one of your strikers and one of the wingers are in bad form, lacking real confidence etc, this doesn't mean that the nine other players would necessarily forget how to play football. And similarly, if two players are playing their shoes off, dominating for you, this doesn't mean that the nine others would confidently manage previously impossible things.

If you win 3-0, all of your players would likely get a rating of 7.0 or higher, the goalscorers receiving 8.0 or higher. If you only won 2-0 they would all get 6.7-6.9 with the exception of the goalscorers. There are exceptions to these observations of course, but not many enough. Why would the right back play a whole mark better just because the team scored one more goal?

Alternatively, you can skip the team talks completely, if its causing you so much grief. :)

If you don't like a feature of the game, there's often a way around it, as indeed there is in this case. I take your point, but many others may enjoy this aspect of management and consider it an integral part of the game.

For me, and for you it seems, this is not true, so do as I do and allow your assistant to take control of all team talks and press conferences. Problem solved.

If you don't like a feature of the game, there's often a way around it, as indeed there is in this case. I take your point, but many others may enjoy this aspect of management and consider it an integral part of the game.

For me, and for you it seems, this is not true, so do as I do and allow your assistant to take control of all team talks and press conferences. Problem solved.

Not really as the assistant is likely to make even more of a mess of things. When you're a reasonably big club for example the assistant will just say 'for the fans' every single time. Not exactly a good recipe when your players are struggling for form.

People complain they game's too easy, but when the slightest bit of difficulty is put in front of them they moan like hell. Can't win, really ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's hardly a valid argument mate, if something as silly as team talks/moral is used as a difficulty level.

On a new game I thought I would ask a senior pro to tutor Ravel Morrison off the pitch. He refused to be tutored by all the senior players I chose and his morale dropped to abysmal with him being critical of my choice of player to tutor him. I gave him 5 choices!!! Now his morale is rock bottom and I though the Manager was meant to be in charge!!!

Worst part is when a player refuses to be tutored by someone the tutor to be puts him on his 'disliked people' list. Can make things hard once he breaks into the first team.

You find out when you send the guy out on loan and they go on about how happy they are to see him leave.

I hate it when the dressing room sounds like the wailing wall, especially when you have just started the game and have no reputation. It seems a bit too unrealistic that over half of the team are suffering from pseudobulbar affect and react with tears and anger even if you are saying sensible things in team talks and team meetings. Will it be possible to hire a psychiatrist to hand out medications for this in future versions?

Fm2012 is about team talks,morale,pace and team/players reputation and maybe 20 % is about tactics and real attributes of players wich is sad especially the part with decadence and unconsistency of tactics wich commpletely ruins the game for me.

I think people underestimate the importance of moral. Have you seen Chelsea play recently? How poor have they looked? That's what Poor Moral does to a good team.

They look like sunday park footballers compared to when their moral and form are good form.

I think people underestimate the importance of moral. Have you seen Chelsea play recently? How poor have they looked? That's what Poor Moral does to a good team.

They look like sunday park footballers compared to when their moral and form are good form.

Could be tactical issue also,not just morale.ALso some key players reached some age like Lampard and Drogba.Drogba is not anymore like it was some years ago when he carried Chealsea in the back many times,now he cant do this anymore.Not to mention Torres wich is bigest failure ever and they still are playing him...

Torres doesn't look half the footballer he did at Liverpool, or back in Spain. Big money move put pressure on him for instant success. The longer the dry spell went, the more pressure, the worse he starts to feel. His Moral was dropping every minute he didn't score. Every snide comment from The Sun and The Daily Mail just adds more.

New manager comes in, tries to shake things up a bit. New tactics with ageing players, things don't work. Players become unhappy with the manager, they haven't been happy with a manager since Mourinho left. This is all Moral, its effect is a culmination of everything.

The best tactics in te world won't help a team that doesn't want to play. When the Chelsea players moral starts lifting, the quality of football they play will increase. Just ask any Sports Psychologist. (I'm surprised we don't have those in the game yet.)

Archived