What variables dictate the wage cap when offering wages to players (from transfer)?

I just tried to offer a contract to a low reputation player who is quite good. I am 250k under the wage limit, have 12mil balance, and yet I can only offer a max of 9,500 pounds a week for squad rotation status. First team cap is 12,000 pounds and key player is pretty much as high as my highest earner at around 70k p/w, a sizable jump. So what determines different wage caps for different players? I just offered a contract to another player (not my own but another transfer target) for 19k p/w on squad rotation status and so the 9.5k p/w for 'Squad Rotation' isn't a hard cap by any means...it is being enforced for this particular player.

Is it the players reputation? Is it the scouts prediction of the player's wage (scout predicted max wage of 10,250 p/w)? Is it the chairman's attributes and how he does business?

I really want to know why the wage cap is so low for certain players. It is kind of annoying since there is 7 clubs offering him a contract and a further 6 interested in this player and I want to compete a bit more in the wage department. Is there anyway I can increase it for this player apart from giving him a key player status (which I won't do) or I just have to accept that my chairman doesn't rate the guy and isn't prepared to offer him more money unless I am going to make him a key part of my plans.

Forgot to add, I am managing Napoli so it isn't the smallest club by any means and the players transfer fee is 1.1m.

Thanks for helping

I assume it is his reputation that has affected this situation.

I do not know how it is implemented, but I quite like the idea that different chairman will impose different restrictions depending on their perception of a player's ability/reputation. It shouldn't happen with every chairman, but with some it should.

The best way to compensate, would be to see if you could offer an improvement in bonusses, whether that be loyalty bonusses or performance bonusses.

Archived