listen to me !

i'm managing psg with the new patch. i brought in some players like sime vrsjalko (sp) and nicolas gaitan, so a pretty decent team. however, i can't seem to make it work with them on so many levels...

1. they don't listen to me in the team talk. i know its because i started with no experience, but they don't even seem to be warming up to me and everything i do seems to be wrong...

2. i had a good run around october/november when i beat f.ex. lyon and montepellier 4-1 and 3-0 respectively. before and since i have been struggling for results, however, with my defense never really performing. additionally my strikers couldnt score in 2 games in a row to save their lives. finally my midfield not being able to be solid and creative at the same time, with my winger bonanza struggling to make any impact.

3. no tactic is working. i started with my tried and tested 4.2.3.1 tactic, with the prospect of pastore playing behind any of my strikers sounding amazing. that didnt work since my defence was too exposed, so i took the amc down to mc and put in a dm to shore things up. thats when things started to go better, but since late november its gone back to normal. we can't keep the ball and can't score. going 1-0 down is basically a death sentence since we dont usually score more than 1 goal a game.

i am somehow still top, with us managing to grind out 1-0 wins, but with a tough round of games against the big boys coming up, i fear the worst, and the seemingly easy draw vs rangers in europe doesnt seem to inviting...

don't really know what i can ask you guys, but im seriously running out of ideas...what are some ways of keeping the ball? my traditional ways dont seem to work

You can always improve your tactic never feel satisfied, Kenny Dalglish once said "If you aim for the moon and miss you might reach the stars". Also swearing is not the answer and check your grammar before posting . In addition you say your top of the table, i genuinely don't see what can make you so upset mate, a team that wins without playing well is a title winning side, look at Man United over the years.

I apologise, and just to clarify, the profanity was meant at my players not at the members here in case there was some misunderstanding. A little heat of the moment there...

The thing I am upset about is that I can't get this team playing the way I want them to ;) there have been a number of cases where I've experimented with various formations (including the ever elusive 3.5.2) but I have always been able to use this 'basic' model of possession attacking football. this especially applies to teams like the current psg side, solid, if unspectacular, defense, and a creative attacking midfield/attack.

i have now won 2 games on the trot, 6-0 and 3-0, against weak opposition and thats how I want to play. I am, however, sure that this will not last. And my team talks still have no effect, as they seem not to respect me. That goes both whether i go easy or hard on them.

like i said, what really annoys me is the lack of consistency of supposedly top class players.

Why do you start as a manager of PSG with no experience? That to me his highly unrealistic. PSG would want a manager with continental reputation, so no wonder the players are reluctant to listen to a word you are saying. Do yourself a favour and start with a bit more oomph. No experience is for the lowest and least reputable clubs/leagues.

Why do you start as a manager of PSG with no experience? That to me his highly unrealistic. PSG would want a manager with continental reputation, so no wonder the players are reluctant to listen to a word you are saying. Do yourself a favour and start with a bit more oomph. No experience is for the lowest and least reputable clubs/leagues.

i would agree with you, but its more challenging this way ;) and yes i realise how hypocritical that sounds. i have done something similar before in previous saves and games however, and the players by now have usually always taken a stance at least, instead of simply ignoring me...

its for villas-boas ;)

i am somehow still top...

Then personally, I can't see what's wrong!

If you're top of the league, you're obviously doing something right. You're not going to thrash every team you play.

One misconception that I see a lot, is people thinking that dominating possession will continually produce high scoring wins. It doesn't work like that. It's not how long you hold the ball that wins games, but what you do with it. For example, I've had games where my team has had more than 60% or even 70% of possession and won with a narrow score line, or even been held to a draw. I've had other games where possession has been equal or even in favour of opponents, yet enjoyed a high scoring win. Simply put, my team was more clinical in those games.

What most people forget is that each match is a unique encounter. You may need to change things tactically during games, in order to expose a weakness in your opponents, or make the most of your own team abilities. For my own part, I have a core system I use, with the principal formation being a 4-2-3-1 shape. This I can then easily adapt to a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, depending on what I encounter during matches. The majority of player roles and positions remains the same, but I can switch to something that either shores things up more defensively, or applies more offensive pressure on opponents.

I'm not complaining being top of the league, but i'd personally rather be playing good football.

I agree, and I think my hotheadedness got the better of me when I was explaining the situation before. In my previous saves I have striven to create attacking forces of nature, in where my team can overpower any team through, if nothing else, scoring more than them (ie Keeganism). I do this through a complete stifling of the midfield, where I have 3 players: a destroyer, an all-rounder, and then the creative spark. Then my wings are always dangerous, very often outscoring my strikers. This has been my major problem: the lack of domination in midfield. They are not protecting my slow paced defense, leaving me in all sorts of trouble, and then not being a good enough link to the attacking 3.

This team, although they may win 1-0 or 3-0 even, they don't play well. It always feels like I could lose it 2-0 any time...

Archived