Work permits

I am not that into those work permit rules, but maybe one of you guys is.

How come that a player already playing in England, is not given a work permit for a move within England.

I was quite happy to be able to sign Miyaichi on loan to Worcester (League 2 now), to salvage something for this season. However my application for a work permit was turned down.

• Administrators
I just started a new England save on 12.2.0. Why do i need work permits for Bulgarian and Romanian nationalities? Aren't they all along EU?

Bulgaria and Romania are excluded and need to have work permits as is the case in real life.

Bulgaria and Romania are excluded and need to have work permits as is the case in real life.

So for 12.2.0 Bulgaria and Romania are Non-EU? or they are EU but players from these countries still have to apply and face rejections?

In this case, avoiding work permits feeder clubs used to be recommended by the board for these 2 countries, any changes to that?

I have noticed this, when i try to sign a player from a British league the wp gets turned down, why is that. If you are getting a player from the british league where u are managing why would u need a work permit. On top of that you would have to send them to your affiliate/feeder club to get a wp and that takes around 3 years, so isnt that a waste of money spent.

I have noticed this, when i try to sign a player from a British league the wp gets turned down, why is that. If you are getting a player from the british league where u are managing why would u need a work permit. On top of that you would have to send them to your affiliate/feeder club to get a wp and that takes around 3 years, so isnt that a waste of money spent.

It is correct that any player moving within Britain could fail to get a work permit, depending on the percentage of internationals played in the previous year (I think year, maybe contract length). That said, it is much rarer in real life that a renewal gets declined than it is in FM.

Sorry kind of confused so in order to get a successful work permit it depends on the percentage of internationals played? I thought it depending on 1. If the player belonged to the EU 2. If he has citizenship or played in that country before.

Sorry kind of confused so in order to get a successful work permit it depends on the percentage of internationals played? I thought it depending on 1. If the player belonged to the EU 2. If he has citizenship or played in that country before.

Point 1. If he is an EU national then he usually won't need a work permit

Point 2. A transfer to another club is a new employer so if the player is an non EU national then the new employer (club) has to apply for a work permit as the original one he would have been given is only valid for the club that signed him originally.

Players with citizenship of any EU country (except Romania/Bulgaria) do not need a work permit to play in the UK. Players of all other countries do (probably some weird exceptions from former colonies) and this is based on ability. The government normally judge this on number of internationals played, but also on games played for club if they are already in the UK. I think FM uses CA and internationals played.

So let me get this straight, sorry have always found this work permit issue confusing , player from other countries who are not in the EU will require a work permit but its based on ability, how does that work. Also whats CA lol.

I do hate this aspect of the game. In real life it's fairly easily for Premiership clubs to get WPs for uncapped players based on their potential ability while on FM the rules are not close to reality and require far too much. I know it's hard to program something that is subjective into the game, but the rules need to be relaxed somewhat to reflect reality.

So let me get this straight, sorry have always found this work permit issue confusing , player from other countries who are not in the EU will require a work permit but its based on ability, how does that work. Also whats CA lol.

Yes that's right. In real life the rule is to stop foreign workers taking jobs a British person could do. So, when talking about football, this is interpreted that the player would have to be of significant ability. Obviously this is open to interpretation, so they use international caps as guidance. This is where the appeal comes in, as sometimes a player hasn't played enough but the club could demonstrate they were close and only missed due to injury/rest etc. If already in the country, both international appearances and club appearances are used.

CA is Current Ability, the way the game rates players in the game engine.

I do hate this aspect of the game. In real life it's fairly easily for Premiership clubs to get WPs for uncapped players based on their potential ability while on FM the rules are not close to reality and require far too much. I know it's hard to program something that is subjective into the game, but the rules need to be relaxed somewhat to reflect reality.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. As FMers we probably experience more rejected work permits because we try to sign players who in reality clubs wouldn't bother trying for as they know he'll get rejected, so it feels skewed.

The 'special talent' work permit you mentioned (ie based on potential ability) isn't doled out that often as far as I'm aware. Ryo Miyaichi got one. But then Joel Campbell, Pedro Botelho, Carlos Vela, Wellington Silva and I'm sure a few others in the last few years at Arsenal alone weren't granted.

Yes that's right. In real life the rule is to stop foreign workers taking jobs a British person could do. So, when talking about football, this is interpreted that the player would have to be of significant ability. Obviously this is open to interpretation, so they use international caps as guidance. This is where the appeal comes in, as sometimes a player hasn't played enough but the club could demonstrate they were close and only missed due to injury/rest etc. If already in the country, both international appearances and club appearances are used.

CA is Current Ability, the way the game rates players in the game engine.

So the more international caps a non eu player has got the more likely he may get a work permit, so if i try to sign a player from the same country and there are a non eu, do the club appearance also help to determine whether they get a work permit.

Also in regards to CA that is the attributes arent there, what their current stats are. As potential ability is what their ability would be and that is determine by star rating is it.

• 2 years later...

Okay, but what about trying to renew the contract of a player staying at his club. I have a 21yo re-gen, who I like as a 4th choice CM (probably future 1st choice), whose contract is up at the end of the season, but his work permit is being denied at every attempt. Is there a way to gain the permit without compromising results by giving him game time ahead of Wilshere and Ramsey?

Okay, but what about trying to renew the contract of a player staying at his club. I have a 21yo re-gen, who I like as a 4th choice CM (probably future 1st choice), whose contract is up at the end of the season, but his work permit is being denied at every attempt. Is there a way to gain the permit without compromising results by giving him game time ahead of Wilshere and Ramsey?

Nope.

To renew a contract with a work permit the player needs to have either played enough games during his previous contract period or meet the international rules.

TBH you shouldn't be signing a WP player unless they are going to be first team or loaned out to gain an EU nationality. Signing them as backups is just a waste of time and you should be able to find enough EU players of a similar standard.

Archived