Game not working since update, any help appreciated.

Nope, it's just not having it.

Steps taken so far:

• Launched Steam.
  • Downloaded update automatically.
  • Went to launch game.
  • Update install got to 100%, then got identified as a virus by my virus checker.
  • Disabled virus checker, tried to launch/install again.
  • Got to 100%, but now "Steam servers are too busy".
  • Verify cache half a dozen times, makes no difference.
  • Restarted computer, makes no difference.
  • Remove FM files via "Delete Local Content".
  • Restart computer.
  • Re-download FM, including update.
  • Make sure virus checker is disabled again.
  • Launching game now comes up with "This game is unavailable" error. All downloading has finished by this point.
  • "Delete Local Content" a second time.
  • As I type this, currently re-downloading FM a second time.
  • (Update) Steam servers too busy error.

I just want to play the game, so I can carry on my story. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

I am a patient guy, and I will look for solutions. But if it doesn't work this time, I'm done for the night, I'm just wasting time right now. I've always tried to be fair when commenting about Steam, recognising it's a good platform from a developer's perspective in terms of distribution, and that it's achieved most of its key aims when becoming the way in which the FM series goes. I do personally dislike it, but that's my problem, nobody else's, I accept that. But this session of hoop-jumping is not helping change my opinion of it. I didn't ask for an update, and I didn't get a choice in the matter, but if it's going to happen, OK, it's not unreasonable to ask for it to just work. I don't want or need to be faffing around, wasting time like this when I should be playing.

So please, if you can help me do that, if you can offer advice on something I haven't yet tried, I'm all ears.

you know you have just wasted 2-3 hours of your time right ? Once it originally said Steam servers too busy, all you had to do is turn off your pc/laptop go do something for a bit then come back load your computer back up and off you go, it would have been working. But you've stuffed it all up :(

The Steam servers remain "too busy", which has now been the response at three separate times (initial install, reinstall and now) since the update. Given that I had only previously encountered this error extremely sporadically prior to this (and it was cured with a minute or two's wait), I cannot help but think the two must be linked.

It would appear I'm not alone in this issue, and having browsed other threads, there was one containing a screenshot with Bullguard as the anti-virus software. This is the program I use, which also reported the update as a virus before I disabled it. I suspect the "too busy" issue is related to permissions on that program- I'm on a different computer right now, but will play around with it once I get the opportunity.

Now, pressing play is still taking me to the "completing installation" installer, getting to 100% and then giving the "Steam Servers Are Too Busy (Error Code 53)" error. Going to the Steampowered error guide hasn't clued me in any more, although it's looking like an antivirus conflict may be the issue.

Archived