Country Population Does Not Change

Hey All.

Just wondering if it would be useful to integrate country population changes in the game??

Australia for example in my game 2032 have 21.5Million people in it, which in real life is what they have now, 2012!!

So no growth reflected at all.

Last 3 years population growth in Australia has hovered around 2% per year. With that sort of growth Australia's population would be just above 31 Million in 2032.

And with that growth there change of generating good players will also increase you would think..

Have only sort of worked this out for Australia, but I imagine a lot of other countries would be the same.

The basic premise might appear sound but population growth alone should have little or no bearing on the quality of players that a nation produces, has India produced any better footballers over the last decade & are the greater number of Chinese players more to do with more relaxed travel restrictions that population growth?

You would need to factor in an increased popularity of football, along with ever improving standards of coaching, facilities & league structures.

The other aspect is that you'd need to have a lower of standards in other countries while still ensuring that the standard of players does not decrease in establish footballing nations that have stagnant or decreasing population numbers.

There are some merits to the idea but it would need to be very well thought out to maintain balance in the game & is something that could only have an effect on 35/40+ season games.

I see your point.

But if 1% of people in Australia were professional Football players (21,500) and 1% of those were quality (215) players.

If population growth had occurred and same figures were used, then amount of quality players would be (315) based on a population of 31,500,000.

Even though that is a poor equation, just on the percentages of players etc, you can see the effect on population growth would have in the game based on rough percentage equations.

All this bearing in mind quality of football, and facilities remained similar to what they are. But likely hood of being better is higher.

I think this pushes it a bit too far.

FM is no Sim City after all.

You cannot include everything you have in real life (and then complain how slow FM is running on your pc ;) ).

I wouldnt mind if SI would not include this in the next version.

• Administrators

It's an estimation, not an accurate figure - most figures of this type have a margin of error. I'm not sure there would be much point in this as it would only be cosmetic.

It's an estimation, not an accurate figure - most figures of this type have a margin of error. I'm not sure there would be much point in this as it would only be cosmetic.

Well for small nations it could have an impact..

F.ex. in Faroe Islands there are only 45000 people.. Yes in my long-long-term game there my average attendances went from about 5-600 per game to 12-13000 per game.. this should probably be tied into country population so prevent this from happening. And then if population grew a little then it is possible that your attendances grow

Well for small nations it could have an impact..

If it is going to implemented in a non cosmetic way it would be a serious change to the way the game works. It would need long term testing, and research for at the very least the population growth rate for every country (if not the actual population growth rate of the area near each football club), and an estimate for the maximum population of country/area. Which would all be a massive waste of time IMO. Get the AI squad building and Transfers systems sorted out before wasting resources on something most people playing the game will never even notice or think about.

I don't think it's a pointless idea at all, the principle behind it has some substance but as Kararian has pointed out the inclusion of population changes beyond a purely cosmetic function would have wide reaching implication within the game & any thoughts of introducing it as a feature would require extensive work & testing.

If it can be worked on as part of the whole dynamic changes features that are already in the game then I think it might have some legs but it could so easily go very, very wrong so whether it is worth the time & effort is questionable.

But in order to implement this you would have to be certain the worlds population would increase indefinitely, if not it starts defeating the point of the feature. Its also a hell of an assumption that by the population increasing means there are more footballers born or more people interested in football. Lets not forget Scotland did better years ago when we had a smaller population and the country had less money. Us becoming a bigger richer country has clearly not improved our football and certainly has not brought more people to our grounds to watch games.

I see your point.

But if 1% of people in Australia were professional Football players (21,500) and 1% of those were quality (215) players.

If population growth had occurred and same figures were used, then amount of quality players would be (315) based on a population of 31,500,000.

Even though that is a poor equation, just on the percentages of players etc, you can see the effect on population growth would have in the game based on rough percentage equations.

All this bearing in mind quality of football, and facilities remained similar to what they are. But likely hood of being better is higher.

Using that as an example, if every other country expanded at a similar rate, then Australia would be left even further behind by more populated nations.

Archived