Do you sell star players?

I was wondering, what is the general concensus on player selling policy? Do you keep "lifelong" players? Have you ever kept a player who has peaked just because he's been pivotal for you in previous years, just out of loyalty?

Or are you ruthless in selling your players for the big bucks, compensating with cheaper buys from lesser leagues and South America? So once a player hits the 15M+, on the transfer list he goes? Or wait until he sort of reaches his peak at about 26-28 years and then off he goes?

I was wondering, what is the general concensus on player selling policy? Do you keep "lifelong" players? Have you ever kept a player who has peaked just because he's been pivotal for you in previous years, just out of loyalty?

Or are you ruthless in selling your players for the big bucks, compensating with cheaper buys from lesser leagues and South America? So once a player hits the 15M+, on the transfer list he goes? Or wait until he sort of reaches his peak at about 26-28 years and then off he goes?

As Chelsea I sold Micheal Essien because Real Madrid asked such a great price and also because I had great midfilders already when I was playing in a 4 4 3.

I also so Joe Cole because he was only about £5M when Liverpool bidded £15.75M for him so I had to let him go for that, he was also not getting many games because I had bought Theo Walcott and Christiano Ronaldo to play on the wings and Faberagas and Lampard for centre mids.

Joe Cole only got 11 games for Liverpool and I bought him back for £2M. Whhat I call a great bargain!

• 2 weeks later...

When I sold Saha beacause he was always injured and he wanted to be placed on the transfer list and barça bid €23 mil for him a lot of players got a bad morale and wanted to go, because I sold a 'good player'

Dont you ever get this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had great midfilders already when I was playing in a 4 4 3.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean 4-4-2 or 4-3-3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-4-2

Because he has Ronaldo and Walcott on the wings and Fabragas and Lampard in the centre, so that 4 midfielders icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stein._:

When I sold Saha beacause he was always injured and he wanted to be placed on the transfer list and barça bid €23 mil for him a lot of players got a bad morale and wanted to go, because I sold a 'good player'

Dont you ever get this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sometimes get a handful of unhappy players after a bigger sale, but usually I can deal with it. It takes about a month, but they'll get over it usually.

The thing I find hardest to do is to decide when to transfer list someone. I "fear" transferring a player who turns out to be the star player in another team and I'm fiercely loyal to players who've helped me out in previous seasons and keep them on longer because I like them icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stein._:

Ok, but what do you do when a player is unhappy after you sell a player and wants to leave the club? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never had a player requesting a transfer, only some unhappy players. So I don't know what I would do. It's probably best to do your big sales in the summer instead of the winter transfer window though for this reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridley99:

stein if youve got unhappy players give them a new contract this normally makes them happy again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I'll try it when one of my players is unhappy again, that won't take long icon_razz.gif

Thank for the tip ridley

Yes, I play as Rangers so view myself as a selling club if big European teams come calling.

I always like finding the next big thing as well. I found a defender (regen) for 300k and after two seasons sterling service sold him to Arsenal for 21.5m.

I do have two or three players I just don't sell to keep the spine of my team consistent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bluetoonger:

Yes, I play as Rangers so view myself as a selling club if big European teams come calling.

I always like finding the next big thing as well. I found a defender (regen) for 300k and after two seasons sterling service sold him to Arsenal for 21.5m.

I do have two or three players I just don't sell to keep the spine of my team consistent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you play a long term game as well with Rangers. Do you keep players for sentimental reasons, that is, keep them in the squad, renew contracts and even play them, even when they get a bit over the hill? Simply out of loyalty to the player? I know I sometimes have a hard time putting my previous star players aside for a new bunch.

For example, my first really good striker I got for free in the Serie B, but he's grown with the team and is still one of my 4 really good strikers, but probably the worst of the regular starters. But I can't seem to say goodbye to him, and given the slightest opportunity or excuse, I seem to be playing him again. Does this sound familiar? icon_smile.gif

Archived