Football Manager the RPG---A concept---

So me and a few friends who partake in some hotseat FM started developing this idea just thought id post it here see what other FM players think. Basically it boils down to a XP system in FM for you the manager. So at the start of the game you choose your experience Sunday league up to international, and depending on that choice get "x" amount of attributes to spend on yourself however you want to "build" your manager. Then as you play you gain XP throughout the season, better you do the more XP you get, but have it in relation to your team’s reputation then at the end of the season depending on the XP gained you get a “x” increase to add to your attributes how you see fit. With maybe bonus XP given for special circumstances like if you get certain awards or your players get awards. Maybe teams will have a preference on what type of manager they would like to sign in, for example Alex Ferguson leaves Man U, they might prefer someone with high Motivation and Charisma so they can slot right in to the team Fergy has built as opposed to getting someone with high scouting and Tactics.

With several different attributes to work at so far I'm thinking:

Training-The higher your training rating the better you teams training becomes

Working with Youngsters-Higher this is get a bonus to youth training and Junior couching, youth players respond better to first team football.

Motivation-Higher motivation you have the better your interactions with your team become (team talks, team meetings, and player interactions)

Charisma-Higher charisma the more likable you are, better interactions with the board and fans. Quicker to turn into a favorite personal. Less chance of an Agent disliking you

Tactics- Better tatics the faster your team gels and understands your tactics

Scouting-Bonus to your scouting department, maybe faster reports back or more accurate or scouting knowledge increased.

Financial- Higher this is more reasonable wage/fee and transfer demands are. Maybe board more likely to respond to financial demands. Maybe more likely other teams will accept your demands when buying your players.

Physio- Higher this is lower injury times are.

Another thought is have manager types with/without XP gain for example

The Motivator-(e.g. Alex Ferguson) Preset focused on Motivation

The Special one (e.g. Jose Mourinho) Preset focused on Charisma

The Tactician(e.g. Rafa Benitez) Preset focused on Tactics

An Eye For Talent (e.g.Arsene Wenger) Preset focused on Scouting

The wheeler and dealer (e.g. Harry Redknapp) Preset focused on Financial

So as I said just an Idea I had that I thought I’d share and see what other FM players think.

All that already happens in FM, except its you that 'levels up', not your 'character'.

You'll never see something like this included in FM, but I think there's something similar in FIFA manager.

They do need to develop the manager attributes, but they should always be a reflection of what you do in game. They should always remain the effect, not the cause.

In general, I agree with Ackter. I prefer to be able to make the right decision regarding non-subjective systems (training, tactics, etc.) from the start whereas Reputation and player relationships already function as an XP system for the more subjective systems (team motivation, job availability, etc.)

With that said, AI managers are all kind of same-y under the current "tendencies" attribute system, especially since they aren't even generated for regen/retired player staff, and, if done right, a system of manager "PPMs" that have a more obvious effect on AI behavior could be used to remedy/replace that.

As Ackter rightly points out - it already happens in the game.

Giving myself points ... say if I won the Champions League, and in the press conference I get narky and storm out.

Then afterwards I can award myself Charisma Points? Or Scouting Points?

Already a huge flaw in your plan?

Although some areas are good ideas - awarding yourself the experience points would ruing the game.

Manager attributes do need to be expanded but you touched on some good points.

It wouldn't work because FM doesn't play out like an RPG. RPGs get progressively more difficult as your character levels up but FM stays the same every season, so all this levelling up would just make the game easier and easier every season.

Also as Ackter says, it's you that levels up by learning more about tactics, motivating, scouting, etc. through experience of playing the game.

Obviously I don’t want these Stats to be game breaking as I think without a shadow of a doubt that FM is the best sports simulation game out there and I have clocked up many a hour (or if you are adding them together, Months Probably) playing it, and I agree that that it’s you the player that learns the way the game works but I just think that that should be represented in the game more, maybe the game recognises your progress in the different attributes and improves them accordingly. As I said this all started from a few friends playing hot seat in the early mornings, thinking “you know what could be interesting”.

It should definitely be represented in game, but not the way you've suggested it.

Everything you do in game should have an effect on your manager attributes imo, not just the hugely limited ones we have now.

Overall, I don't like the idea.

But it would be great if the manager, you, had a. more emphasis on attributes and b. more detail. Bit like player increasing strength, you can see that over 2 years. Why cant we see that for a managers tactics attribute?

Would make a nice Facebook game, though.

Could be on to something, I happy to let my idea be used as long as i get a cut.

Think ppl are taking the RPG part a bit too literally, I wasn't picturing me being a level 10 wheeler and dealer here equiped with my shining spreed sheet of financial fair play, that gives me +5 to finance and +1 to Tactics and my Amazing Technicolour Overcoat that gives me +10 to Charisma, just think that currently the "you" in FM is very bare or dull, and not really a representation of they type of manager you are or the knowledge you have. What I was suggesting that these stats could give a very small advantage in the area that you want so you build you as the manager you see yourself.

Could be on to something, I happy to let my idea be used as long as i get a cut.

Think ppl are taking the RPG part a bit too literally, I wasn't picturing me being a level 10 wheeler and dealer here equiped with my shining spreed sheet of financial fair play, that gives me +5 to finance and +1 to Tactics and my Amazing Technicolour Overcoat that gives me +10 to Charisma, just think that currently the "you" in FM is very bare or dull, and not really a representation of they type of manager you are or the knowledge you have. What I was suggesting that these stats could give a very small advantage in the area that you want so you build you as the manager you see yourself.

To be fair, the Shiny Spreadsheet and the Technicolour Overcoat sound pretty awesome. Maybe it's something we could buy with our salary :D

Hmm the more i think about it the better it seems, players always are complaining about having nothing to spend their career earning on, so this idea solves that too :D. Intriguing brolly of changing fortunes, inverts your stats at random occasions(more likely to happen when changeing Jobs).

Archived