Standard of Regens

I have just a simple question. Whenever I get into a game, can't help but notice the quality of regens in lower league clubs is absolutely aweful. To see if my observations had any ground, I used genie scout and was amazed to find that 4691 regens had a current and potential ability of under 10. Only 59 real players have those attributes. I was wondering how (if there is a way) to have the lower league clubs actually produce regens that will end up in their starting 11's. Even in the Top Division in Spain, Osasuna has 7 of their first team members fresh from their own youth academy in real life. This just does't happen in FM, and i have no idea why. Those 10 CA/PA players will amount to nothing and that is a little frustrating. Any ideas?

what i found out, is if you play longer than 20++ years in a smaller league WITH foreign player limitations, theres no way the players from that country will be half decent in the long run, because the country itself will only have 2-3 considered "big clubs" for their standards, and these clubs will be the only ones producing half way decent youth regens and these guys will just sit in the reserves and dont want to talk to any lower ranked team (aka rest of the league) to even consider transfering them... in case you are playing on a smaller club inside that league

i dont understand either why the game gives you hard coded 0 chance of at least one POTENTIALLY decent youth player if your facilities are bad, there shouldnt be a link of POTENTIAL and facilities in my opinion, would make the game more interesting and you could scout small clubs for good youth regens, not only the usual suspects

this all means you run out of decent national players to keep your squad valid with the registration rules

very frustrating problem, thats why iam not playing atm waiting for the patch :/ although dont have much hope on improvments in this area... :(

I haven't checked out lower leagues in my game (season 9), but it seems to me even Championship has dropped in quality over the years. Meanwhile I know that several of the players I signed or got through the youth setup were good Championship potential (and CA) players when I released them, but most of them retire after being unemployed indefinitely.

So there are more than one issue here:

* The current system where the manager gets to select youth candidates is better than before, but the general quality is still appalling: only 1-5 of 20 candidates have the potential to become professional footballers. The rest are worthless to the entire league system of England. Still the coaches propose to sign several of them just to bolster youth squad depth.

* Thanks to the necessity of Professionalism and Ambition to have a player develop at all, and the randomness of these attributes, the chances of one given player being able to reach his potential is rather low. In other words: the gaming world is choke full of players having 100-200 PA but who are all stuck on something close to their current CA of 30-90, and whose self-evalutation is based on that PA (apparently).

* Consequently, the clubs who could have used them is evidently of no interest to these players, and the clubs know this so they don't even bother trying.

* In addition, the youth setup in lower league clubs are mostly quite poor, and the CA gained from playing there is negligible, so even fewer of the low-potential youngsters reach their potential even though they are professional and/or ambitious.

what i found out, is if you play longer than 20++ years in a smaller league WITH foreign player limitations, theres no way the players from that country will be half decent in the long run, because the country itself will only have 2-3 considered "big clubs" for their standards, and these clubs will be the only ones producing half way decent youth regens and these guys will just sit in the reserves and dont want to talk to any lower ranked team (aka rest of the league) to even consider transfering them... in case you are playing on a smaller club inside that league

i dont understand either why the game gives you hard coded 0 chance of at least one POTENTIALLY decent youth player if your facilities are bad, there shouldnt be a link of POTENTIAL and facilities in my opinion, would make the game more interesting and you could scout small clubs for good youth regens, not only the usual suspects

this all means you run out of decent national players to keep your squad valid with the registration rules

very frustrating problem, thats why iam not playing atm waiting for the patch :/ although dont have much hope on improvments in this area... :(

I agree. There are some occasions where you are looking at some real players in the game (Marek Hamsik for example) and the first club listed on his history is some unplayable slovakian club with terrible facilities. How is it possible then for them to produce one of the world's best young stars? There should definitely be more of a chance factor involved.

That's why we have the FM12 editor ;)

What I did to enjoy my game was spend plenty of hours overhauling the youth academy of most notable clubs in the game by changing the value to 20 :p, at least now it produces more realistic amounts of new gens :D

Archived