Corner Banging

You can't feel that dirty if you continue to use it. I think it is up to each user to decide if they want to use this exploit/set up, it is much less effective than the lurking one on FM10 I think it was.

• 3 months later...

So does anyone have a corner routine which is not exploiting the near post but still pretty good.

First game I played without it I conceded two from corners at the near post and its ******* me off since I want to play without a cheat but the AI is using the cheat. :/

The AI doesn't use the exploit though as it will not ask the corner taker to always aim for the near post, having a player attack the near post is perfectly acceptable in my book but because the delivery can be unnervingly consistent I instruct the taker to use a mixed aim point.

What the game is missing is a defender standing a few yards ahead of the near post to intercept the low driven corner & act as a shield against the attacking player, hopefully defensive positioning will be better executed on the new ME.

So does anyone have a corner routine which is not exploiting the near post but still pretty good.

First game I played without it I conceded two from corners at the near post and its ******* me off since I want to play without a cheat but the AI is using the cheat. :/

I simply don't change the default set piece instructions. I figure that doesn't give me either any specific advantage or disadvantage over the AI due to the poor set piece defence in the match engine. I still get the occasional cheesy goal in corners, but I concede a similar proportion so I'm really not going to fret about it. It's my perpetual hope that the next release of FM will continue to improve set pieces and cut out the exploits that remain.

The goals from corners are, in my opinion, the biggest flaw in the whole game. The frequency is not just "a bit off", it's absurd.

Incidentally, I don't think it's even purely an issue with the near-post: I use mixed delivery and I have a guy win the header at the back post virtually every time it goes there, powering his header on target or fractionally wide/over.

In real life the vast majority of corners don't even result in an effort on goal, and only around 1 in 50 results in a goal.

I normally set up my corners using my 'banger' routine and then rather than pick delivery to near post i leave it as mixed, this way its far less frequent but my centre backs can still pop up with some crucial goals

depends on your players aswell, i never buy defenders with less than 16 in heading/jumping and 80% headers won success rate so i find mine struggle not to score. ATM im Arsenal and have Chris Samba and Sebastien Coates who are both giants of men

Last season using my diluted instructions Samba scored 8 (from standing on the GK) and Coates scored 6 (from near post) i think this is fair numbers to not be classed as cheating whilst still being effective

I normally set up my corners using my 'banger' routine and then rather than pick delivery to near post i leave it as mixed, this way its far less frequent but my centre backs can still pop up with some crucial goals

depends on your players aswell, i never buy defenders with less than 16 in heading/jumping and 80% headers won success rate so i find mine struggle not to score. ATM im Arsenal and have Chris Samba and Sebastien Coates who are both giants of men

Last season using my diluted instructions Samba scored 8 (from standing on the GK) and Coates scored 6 (from near post) i think this is fair numbers to not be classed as cheating whilst still being effective

It doesn't sound too bad, agreed, but in reality Samba scores once every ten Premier League games and even set-piece-reliant Stoke only got seven goals from their defenders last season.

In short, corners in FM12 are broken.

I set all the defence back. One far, one near, one on keeper, one lurks outside. (think there's another one in there too....) and that usually results in a lot of corner goals from the far post. But that's only cos the AI is actually hopeless. When you remove people from the box the AI doesn't so the defence get in each others way. It's also why if you do something similiar on defence you'll rarely concede a corner, as your team should man for man defend the area easily.

Archived