Bizarre Dutch Football

I can't find much about this online, but Dutch league football seems weird and I need it explaining.

I am in 2020/21 and finished 5th with Feyenoord. I also lost 3-2 in the Dutch Cup Final to 2nd placed Ajax. I was told after that defeat that I would be playing European football next season having made it to the final. But then I had to play in the European playoffs to determine who would enter the Europa League. I don't know why I had to play these games if I was already assured a place in the Europa League anyway? I beat Heerenveen in round 1, then played NEC in the "final". I won the first leg 3-1 at home and lost 1-0 away. However it showed the aggregate score as 3-3 and we then had to play another match titled as a European Places Playoff Decider. I won that 3-0 and finally the season ended and once again it said I would be playing European football next season.

The whole process was just really confusing. And lots of things happened that made no sense. For example, the full-time team talk for the Decider game against NEC which I won 3-0 only let me use negative comments; like- "Not good enough, that was the sort of match we should be winning"

So..is this normal??!

It's unusual but you get 3 points for winning a match on those play-offs, the 3-3 isn't the score but just 3 points for each team for winning a match, to avoid the last match you need to win both legs or just win and draw.

Have no idea about the Cup though.

This is not quite as it should be.

As cup runners-up you should have qualified for the Europa League, and as a result would not have to play in the play-offs. So this looks like a bug. Are you playing FM12?

The three legged style play-off was abandoned a couple of seasons ago - it only applied to the relegation/promotion play-offs anyway. I mentioned this on one of the bug forums and it was being looked into.

Yes, I'm on FM2012, version 12.1.1. I thought it may have been a bug but didn't want to jump on the "IT'S A BUG-FIX IT NOW" bandwagon.

Luckily it didn't matter too much as I beat NEC in the playoff anyway. So I've got my European football and that's all I care about.

I haven't got the news items about me qualifying for Europe after the cup final as I've gone too far, but I can provide a save game that will show in the previous season that I lost in the Dutch Cup Final, finished 5th but still had to go through the Europa playoffs if that's of any use to you?

• SI Staff
I haven't got the news items about me qualifying for Europe after the cup final as I've gone too far, but I can provide a save game that will show in the previous season that I lost in the Dutch Cup Final, finished 5th but still had to go through the Europa playoffs if that's of any use to you?

We might be able to tell something from that save, so if you could upload the save it would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks for uploading your save game :thup:

You are correct in thinking that this should not happen, instead in this situation you should not have to compete in the European Playoffs and instead the next eligible team down in the league table should take the place of the Dutch Cup runners-up in the Playoffs instead. We are now looking into why this is happening.

Archived