Is Ivy Bridge Macbook perf. expected to really outshine Sandy? My air lags in matches :(

Who here plays on a Sandy Bridge Macbook Air ???

During matches (in 3D window or 2D) does bringing up game stats (E.g Full Match Details, Player Ratings ) windows really lag your machine? Every time I try and bring up detailed match window and move the pane around the screen I get HUGE screen lag as if my Air can't handle all the processing :( Not to mention how my laptop really heats up the fan goes insane when starting / playing a match.

I'm on Day 10 of my owning my new Macbook Air 11" and I'm really considering returning it and waiting for the Ivy Bridge version in 2-3 months time.

Anyone else with an Air post your experiences?

The Mac Book Air only has a 1.6GHz Dual-Core - and it uses the Intel Chip as the graphics card. So it has no integrated graphics card.

How much RAM did you get 2gb or 4gb? If you only got 2gb of RAM then I can see match play being a problem - as the program would need to share the processor for both graphics and processing at the same time.

You're experiencing slow match play possibly because of this - you need to tune down the graphic detail, turn off all unnecessary things, like outside the stadium etc.

The MacBook Air is not a gaming computer - it's not really designed for heavy processing the FM or other games would require, let alone designed to run graphics for gaming.

And I just checked out the price of a Mac Book air.

You can buy a 17 inch computer from dell for £600 - i3 processor @ 2.0ghz, a dedicated graphics card, and 4gb RAM. Which would run FM better for you - and save you about £400.

Check your drivers (can you do that on a Mac?). It should be OK-ish for FM12 (Intel HD 3000) but it doesn't have a ton of graphics memory. Lagging is not out of the question.

As an ultraportable, it is not likely to be designed for gameplay, anyway. And as a Mac, you are unlikely to get value for money when it comes to performance.

for £600 you can get a much better i5 and at least 6 gig ram and dedicated card... never will understand the reasoning behind buying mac's .. especially Air's

That's what I said at the end of my post lol.

I bought a €600 computer for that price yesterday

i3 2350m, 4gb RAM, GT525m, 17 inch screen

the mac book air is a grand?!!!

jesus... a grand for a little underpowered dual core :/

madness...

for that you can get an i7 based lappy if thats what rocks your boat

YES and base model comes with 2 gb of RAM

£80 to add another 2gb!!!

Rip-Off

You can buy a 17 inch computer from dell for £600 - i3 processor @ 2.0ghz, a dedicated graphics card, and 4gb RAM. Which would run FM better for you - and save you about £400.

I think most people looking at a macbook air find the size (or lack of..) attractive. That makes a 17 inch screen overkill :p

Macs are not designed for gaming...I never understood why anyone buys a Mac or a Windows laptop for that matter when you can buy an Xbox or PS3 for way less.....I own a MacBook Pro and a Mac mini and would not consider a MacBook Air as a gaming machine (However, I have previously owned an Air and I dispute the comments about rip off...the Air with its SSD is very snappy for most lighter computer uses and unless your playing games or encoding video most people don't see the difference....give me an Air over any plastic, shoddy built laptop any day,... but I would not fancy trying to play FM2012 on it.)

If you have the cash and like Mac OSX then I fully recommend a Mac over a PC for practically any purpose....but an 11" Air for running FM2012? No way.

BTW, my 17" MacBook Pro quad core i7, 8GB RAM, runs about 30 leagues in highest details and all 3D options without any lag at all...it blazes through the game better than any PC I have owned but then it prob costs 5 times more than a very good Dell. Horses for courses though.

I'm with Ajax Barca Cryff on this one then.

I use my laptop 60% of the time for development work (xcode, eclipse etc. and other programming), 20% for web browsing and emails, and the last 20% for Football Manager! :)

Good to know that it runs flawless then on the Macbook Pro quad core. I guess I'll be returning this 11" Air and grabbing one of those or even possibly waiting for the new Ivy Bridge Pro models. They new pro models are rumoured to have an even closer Air form factor anyhow.

Also, as Ajax Cruyff said - I will take any Mac Lappy over any plastic shoddy built Dell any day of the year. I am far from any sort of Mac fan boy but the only reason I buy Mac's as my laptop is because of the build quality, and yes - over the 3 years that I use my laptop it is worth the extra $1000 to me. Thankfully I can afford it.

I run FM12 on my early 2011 Macbook Pro 13"

Core i5, 4Gb RAM, Intel HD graphics

I don't get any lag, ever, even running 16 leagues in full detail.

A for anyone buying a mac over everything else, and why they spend more, its because I was feed up of the 'thrown together' way that most laptops ara made. Macs are designed in consort with the Operating System from the group up - nothing else can beat that level of intergration.

To quote a tagline, 'it just works'

That said I do agree, return that Macbook Air and get a base spec 13" Pro, but not yet. Wait 2/3 months.

My testing right now with my 11" Air was with ~40 leagues (almost everything clicked except Asia + South Africa) and using a max of ~125,000 players which was the recommended player limit on my air. Everything runs fine until your squad plays a match. 2D or 3D match engine and the fan and heat goes ape#@$ :)

Will wait for the ivy pro.

That said I do agree, return that Macbook Air and get a base spec 13" Pro, but not yet. Wait 2/3 months.

The base spec 13" Pro is still a dual-core. You don't get quad core till 15". Would be nice though if the new Ivy's are quad core on the 13" but we'll see!

There's isn't enough space in the chassis. At the end of the day with macs you know what you're getting. Something that you could far cheaper elsewhere. You pay for the brand, the build quality, and the integration,

I don't actually care if mine is a dualcore, it hasnt failed in anything I've asked it to do- including FM.

It's a bit like complaining that you can't get luggage for your family of 4 in an Aston Martin to be honest, sort of missing the point.

Can't be bothered to join the PC vs Mac debate, been there from both sides. I wouldn't swap my iMac for any PC at the moment and there are few Laptops about for less money than a MacBook Pro that compare to my 4 year old MacBook, let alone the pro in terms of usability and build quality. You gets what you pay for and my Mac is the best windows machine I've ever owned :D

The lower end spec Macbook pros also aren't designed to shunt graphics around to any great degree but should do better on something as relatively graphics light as FM, all macs will give you a big kiss if you stick some extra memory in them after you've bought it, Apple does charge extortionate amounts for extra memory at purchase and are a bit stingy on RAM given the price of the stuff.

Archived