To Make Each Football Manager Individual

A great addition to the January update would be the option to continue the season half way through. Obviously a lot of people have ideas in the game but I feel this would add more longevity to the game as it would allow people to continue the season e.g. trying to avoid relegation or getting into European places.

This would also make more opportunities for games when people get bored as there would be half season challenges to build on instead of the same old starting at the beginning of the season. Obviously you can do that in the game already but having a real life save point would be more interesting.

Obviously me posting about it isn't going to make it happen, I'm just wondering if people would like this idea added into the game.

Thoughts?

Been mentioned numerous times, and each time they say it's not possible due to licensing issues, so it won't be happening.

What about challenges then? Stuff like "Six games left in the season, you need to save <Team A> from relegation with a tough series of fixtures ahead of them. Can you rally your men and save them from relegation?"

"Two games to go and you are 3 points behind top of the league. Next fixture is against them. Can you pull off a victory and snatch the title from under their noses?"

"Four games of the season left, your team is somehow sitting within the cusp of European competitions. Can you help obtain a momumental achievement in the clubs history by securing a place in European competition?"

Just a few of the possibilites. Would have to be with specific clubs, of course, especially for something like the European competitions one. It'd add a new aspect to FM and would be interesting as there's a LOT of various challenges you could make for the game.

Seems some people want short games... challenges. It's a thought and would add another dynamic to FM.

They could be things like - win the league with a nPower team in 10 seasons. That's not a short game, but it might be a challenge to people.

The achievements are sorta like this. But not everyone uses them, using Steam in offline etc.

It would be an addition to have a game option where you take over a team for a sort or long period and your goal is set by you. At the end of the target the game is terminated.

I've noticed a lot of people are not into doing long saves. I don't understand that. The game is brilliant when you get 30 or 40 seasons in. In fact, I spend much of my earlier years managing smaller teams and working my way up. I don' usually get a managers position at a large team until about 20 or 30 years in the game.

Been mentioned numerous times, and each time they say it's not possible due to licensing issues, so it won't be happening.

You're going to need to elaborate on this one...starting a game halfway through a season violates the terms of a license? Seriously?

Can't you technically accomplish the same thing by loading England + a league that starts in February, start the game in February, then choose an English team?

I definitely like the idea of challenges, though. You can even get detailed with the challenges:

-Save a team in administration from relegation, starting in January

-Earn a european place from 10th in the league, starting in January

-Earn X pounds/euros/dollars profit in a single season

-Turn a profit every month for X consecutive months

-Win the league with a squad of 18 players (or even 16!) <-- i've done this one!

-Win the league with only players under 21/over 35 (or both!)

-Win two consecutive league titles with two entirely different squads of 25 (without changing clubs!)

-Wage budget starts at 1,000,000 but decreases by 200,000 every season. Win 5 consecutive league titles. Can be scaled down according to the league stature. (requires careful planning and shrewd negotiating)

Okay, i'm getting silly now...but you see the point. Challenges can be quite entertaining if they're "official" so loads of people are trying to the same ones at the same time.

I like the idea of having the option to start half-way through the real life season.

With regards to these other short challenges, it's already possible to do this via the community. Somebody can run a game until the end of March, then upload the save file for everyone to take on a challenge of keeping a team up or gaining promotion. It has been done before in CSE, but I've not been in there much lately. This is why SI don't release these sort of challenges, as it's already possible.

Can't you technically accomplish the same thing by loading England + a league that starts in February, start the game in February, then choose an English team?

Yes but the league does not represent the real life league when you do that. As far as im aware SI have a license to represent the league at the start of the season, but cannot represent a real time league table in January. Depends what licenses you can afford to buy and do buy.

• SI Staff

We actually have challenges included in the handheld version of Football Manager that start mid-season - such as surviving a relegation battle, dealing with an injury crisis, being a manager where the team/fans hate you. You're then allowed to continue that game as a career (if you don't get sacked, of course :p). I personally like the idea, as it's something you can do in a couple of hours if you don't have the time (or computer power) for a long-term career game.

While I would not be all that interested in short-term challenges, I wouldn't mind if they were created.

However, so some extent you can actually create this for yourself already now.

If you select at least one nation with a calendar year season along one with a summer to summer season, you can select the starting date of your save according to your liking. For the country with the other season schedule, the season will already be underway at the game start and you can check the table and teams to see if there is a nice challenge for you.

If you find a nice challenge, you could also upload it for others to complete. With many users joining in you could get a very nice database of challenges of various kinds :thup:

Example: You select England and Brazil, starting date Brazil (Jan 11 or 12). Then choose an English club to manage after looking at which one is in a situation which would be a nice challenge to attempt and you'll enter the game with half the season already played.

Obviously, one could as much just holiday a game for 6 or maybe even 10 months until one finds a nice challenge situation. The way described above would save one from that and may thus be faster to create.

hth :)

Archived