Bring back Motty! (a discussion of strange commentry in FM)

I think everyone who's played the game for a while would know there's inconsistencies between the events shown by the match engine, and that suggested by the match commentary.

I thought it would maybe be useful to highlight some of them here, especially as a few might be rare or obscure.

I'll kick off with a situation I just saw: opposition goalkeeper punts ball long, my GK coming to collect, misses, their striker (who'd been chasing) nips in behind him and knocks home on the goal line (slightly selfishly denying their GK a goal, I might add).

And the commentater said? "[Opp GK] showed incredible craft and vision to make that goal". Did he really?

I'm sure there's countless more...

I've noticed that on very rare occasions the commentary mixes up the player who has fouled with the player who has been fouled. Never seen it mentioned on here though, so maybe it might've been covered had I restarted my game after 8.02.

Not really a problem at all though, just an X and Y mix-up in the commentary line.

For instance "Free kick to Liverpool...Ronaldo was brought down by Torres.....yellow card for Ronaldo" for an event in which Torres was the player fouled against.

Originally posted by backpackant:

Commentary: "Player XXX clears it into row Z. He's taking no chances there."

Often see this straight after the ball bounces off the ground, a player tries to catch up with the ball and it goes out of play.

Must have been a pretty big bounce icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Amaroq:

Two of my defenders were passing the ball between each other. Carelessly. The oppo. striker nipped in, stole it, and was off to the races. The commentary read "XYZ breaks the offside trap..."

Arguably he did.

Originally posted by MAJ Walrus:

Always fun watching players horrendous bans for head butting players / refs. (Only happened occasionally.)

I've seen players head butt others on this version, I recently had a player banned for 7 games for head butting a player... But I've not seen it happen to a ref for a while!! I really miss it, it was so funny and shocking when it happened, I remember a few years ago I was playing as Leeds and Alan Smith punched the referee, He got a 3 month ban.

Originally posted by snugglecakes:

I've noticed that on very rare occasions the commentary mixes up the player who has fouled with the player who has been fouled. Never seen it mentioned on here though, so maybe it might've been covered had I restarted my game after 8.02.

Not really a problem at all though, just an X and Y mix-up in the commentary line.

For instance "Free kick to Liverpool...Ronaldo was brought down by Torres.....yellow card for Ronaldo" for an event in which Torres was the player fouled against.

It's to do with obstruction. if Torres got the freekick for being obstructd by Ronaldo, the commentary states "Torres was clearly obstructing Ronaldo".

Originally posted by sirdez24:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snugglecakes:

It's to do with obstruction. if Torres got the freekick for being obstructd by Ronaldo, the commentary states "Torres was clearly obstructing Ronaldo". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the one that really annoys me, seems to come up every game as well.

not a line of commentary but i love when it happens & it tends to only happen in derby matches/ semi fnals or finals. Ater you score a goal the whole team runs full pelt past "you" in your dugout and all start going buck mad in the opposition technical area!

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm particularly fond of "So-and-so brings the ball forward.."

.. describing one of my defenders knocking the ball backwards across the end line with a clumsy first touch, and therefore conceding a corner.

i had one today where my winger was trying to bring the ball down near the corner(i guess) and headed it over the far end line for a goal kick and it said "Legear clears the danger, he's taking no chances there"

Originally posted by csusmatt:

Im always curious when i get that random "He is you know..." from the commentary box.

Usually preceded by "He's not going to shoot from here.." or something similar.

Archived