What would you do?

I'm in March 2014 playing with Stoke. The first two seasons have gone well, finishing 8th and 7th in the league. With not a lot of money available I've relied on free transfers (Chivu, Muntari, Gago, Bridge) and youngsters with bags of potential (Nangis, Niang, Wilfired). My problem is I also managed to get Drogba on a free at the start of the second season. He signed a one year contract, only expecting him to last the one season due to his age. But a record of 12 goals in 22 appearances persuaded me to offer him another year. Again, I expected this would be his second and final season at the club but now, with ten games left in the season and I am sitting 4th in the league and at the moment Drogba has 12 in 21. He's just turned 36, had a few injuries but whenever he plays he does well. He complained when I changed his squad status from key player to important player so if I offer him a new contract for next season he may not play as many games and will probably become unhappy.

Like I said I have Nangis, Niang and Wilfried and as I play with three up front at least two top class strikers are needed as cover. My question is do I offer Drogba another year when he might not play as much or let him go at the end of the season? What would you do?

Archived