Anyone ever managed to get the best from Andy Carroll?

I'm not sure I got the "best" out of Carroll, but I've certainly been able to get him to perform well. I didn't build the team around him. I just used him as a poacher playing to the left of Suarez in a 442 then set his wide play to "Normal" and have him attack one of the posts on corners.

Now, have I ever developed Carroll to his full potential? Not in FM12 as he's beyond tutoring age and his ambition/professionalism are too low to really see major improvements in training.

Would never play well in my lfc side, but then found it impossible to sell him. (even at nothing)

Eventually he asked for mutual termination, i accepted since it was a waste of 70k per week and newcastle snapped him up two days later

£thirty five million pounds£, has there ever been such a swindle or a bigger fool than "King" Kenny for paying it, i wonder how good on fm12 he would have been had he stayed at NUFC continued his form and got 20+ goals last season? i remember him being a wonderkid on fm07 or 08 maybe, but ever since then he has been average at best, even in fm10 when NUFC were in the championship.

£thirty five million pounds£, has there ever been such a swindle or a bigger fool than "King" Kenny for paying it, i wonder how good on fm12 he would have been had he stayed at NUFC continued his form and got 20+ goals last season? i remember him being a wonderkid on fm07 or 08 maybe, but ever since then he has been average at best, even in fm10 when NUFC were in the championship.

Er, hello? Torres for 50mil. If that isn't the worst transfer (or biggest swindle as you put it) in recent history, I don't know what is.

Carroll is still young, and to be fair he's done much better recently in matches and scored a couple.

£35 for Carroll is considerably worse than £50 for Torres. Even in hindsight, but especially at the time, when few could have predicted Torres' downturn. He also still has a lot more known potential than Carroll. Torres could still get going again if the team is built more around him. Whether that would be a good move for Chelsea, I don't know, but it could happen.

Carroll has scored recently, including against Oldham and Brighton. Great.

Both were awful transfers, but Carroll's takes the cake. At least, at this point in time.

The best results anybody had with him was by starting the game in January to get him tutored by Kuyt. Aside from that having him as your corner banger will help him be 'playing well' more often which will get him a few more from open play.

If you're lucky and play him in season one you can sometimes recoup about £20m selling him to a mug like 'Arry.

Someone has him with 20 goals in 25 matches that's not too bad, not sure if they are using him on corners or not. I have Fernando Llorente scoring a lot of goals and although Llorente is much better I think it would be pretty easy to get 20 plus goals a season from Andy Carroll.

Be interesting to know how many people were getting him to score if you discount corners though.

I agree it would, Llorente has 31 in 39 for me and has not scored a single goal from a corner. Like I said I know that Llorente is better but a similar tactic could get some results with him at least I think so lol.

The problem is really that the game physics don't allow for crosses to the head of a slow player in the box. I have played against him on a Aston Villa team that used him well, though, and that was frustrating. Not as frustrating as playing against Llorente, Lukaku or Drogba etc, but it was bad enough.

The most frustrating player I have ever faced in FM12 is Ricky van Wolfsvinkel (sp?). Not because he is so good... rather because he isn't yet he destroyed me on his own in a distinctly average Bolton side... I hate it when Jonny Averages do that :mad:

The problem is really that the game physics don't allow for crosses to the head of a slow player in the box.

Got to agree to some extent. The only headed goals I see in open play in my games is when a nippy winger heads in at the far post off a cross from his opposite team mate.

My current tactics don't really allow for a big striker or a lot of crosses, but even in other saves where I've specifically set up a team around a big target man they always under perform and still get most of their goals with their feet.

Got to agree to some extent. The only headed goals I see in open play in my games is when a nippy winger heads in at the far post off a cross from his opposite team mate.

My current tactics don't really allow for a big striker or a lot of crosses, but even in other saves where I've specifically set up a team around a big target man they always under perform and still get most of their goals with their feet.

I can't argue with that, of the 31 goals Llorente has for my team I would say 5 or 6 were headed. I find it strange that no matter what I try within the TC or classic tactics wingers get more chances with headers than the targetman who my wingers and full backs are instructed to aim for on crosses.

I can't argue with that, of the 31 goals Llorente has for my team I would say 5 or 6 were headed. I find it strange that no matter what I try within the TC or classic tactics wingers get more chances with headers than the targetman who my wingers and full backs are instructed to aim for on crosses.
most of the corsses I seam to score from in open play seams to be deep full back crosses (cross from deep/aim at center)

Anyone ever managed to get the best from Andy Carroll?

Is that you Kenny? Give Chris Hughton a call, he knew how to get the best out of him. :D

I signed him on my previous Journey game, when he was 32 on a free transfer.

I used him as a impact sub, he did pretty well for me. But I usually put him on when I was losing or desperate for a win, I set the team passing to very direct, float crosses in. I set him to hold up, ticked him as my target man, full attacking mentality, closing down own half only, through balls often, run from deep rarely, run with ball rarely, long shots mixed.

Played with a small quick striker off him, he got a few assists, and smashed in the odd long range goal, whilst chipping in with the headers.

Archived