Counter Attack

Just wondering what this feature does exactly - I think it should work by allowing players, when on the counter attack, to ignore passing instructions (for example counter attacking with a team with passing set to the shortest, for example, would allow the players to make the long ball just during the counter attack). Could someone clarify what it does? I haven't really been able to notice a massive difference.

From what I've read in the past I believe it sets a player's mentality to 20 when on a counter attack.

As for what is classed as a counter attack its something to do with how many defenders/attackers there are - maybe in the opposition half?

Note it could also have changed as this was around FM09/10.

On any tactic, the "Counterattacking" phase begins when you have possession and there is a low number of opposition players between the player with the ball and the goal. When the "Counterattacking" phase is triggered, all your players will have their mentality set to the highest level and their forward runs increased by one level. In general, this means they will all sprint forward (even if your tempo is set relatively low) and make bolder decisions (for example, a killer pass, even if their passing and through ball options are otherwise set somewhat low).

When you select the "Counterattack" option, your players will enter the "Counterattacking" phase when there is a slightly higher number of opposition players between the player with the ball and the goal. In other words, they will enter the "Counterattacking" phase more often. It doesn't have any other effects.

What it also does is to instruct your defenders to pass among them, drawing the opponent out of their defensive zones. This is why it is usually ticked off when you select an attacking starting strategy in the TC. You may not actually see an increase in the amount of break-aways or counter-attacks using this option. It may also be very dangerous to do if you try to be dangerous on the counter vs an opponent attacking you, since the likelyhood of your defenders being caught in possession increases.

What it also does is to instruct your defenders to pass among them, drawing the opponent out of their defensive zones.

I know the manual says this, but I've personally never seen it actually increase this behavior and earlier developer posts discussing the actual mechanics of the option don't mention it. I think the manual author merely described the "Counter" strategy when writing that entry, as the Counterattack option is ticked by default for the "Overload" strategy and that certainly doesn't cause defenders to sit back.

What it also does is to instruct your defenders to pass among them, drawing the opponent out of their defensive zones. This is why it is usually ticked off when you select an attacking starting strategy in the TC. You may not actually see an increase in the amount of break-aways or counter-attacks using this option. It may also be very dangerous to do if you try to be dangerous on the counter vs an opponent attacking you, since the likelyhood of your defenders being caught in possession increases.

This was changed in the last patch. Counter Attack is ticked on Defensive, Counter and Overload. The stuff we'd read on attacking patterns seemed to suggest that counter-attacking moves were common to teams that tried to sit back, whereas aggressive sides had a different movement pattern, generally not having enough people behind the ball to make countering viable. Counter Attack was kept on Overload, however, as that strategy looks to attack no matter what.

It maximises mentality, adds TBs, dribbling and FWRs. I believe it also reduces long shots.

This was changed in the last patch. Counter Attack is ticked on Defensive, Counter and Overload. The stuff we'd read on attacking patterns seemed to suggest that counter-attacking moves were common to teams that tried to sit back, whereas aggressive sides had a different movement pattern, generally not having enough people behind the ball to make countering viable. Counter Attack was kept on Overload, however, as that strategy looks to attack no matter what.

It maximises mentality, adds TBs, dribbling and FWRs. I believe it also reduces long shots.

Ok thanks. Didn't realize that was patched.

Archived