Transfers: Should crowd funding be an option?

At first I thought this was a joke but Palmeiras had a EUR 6m bid accepted for Werder's two times Brazilian International Wesley and when they failed to secure an investor they turned to their own fans. Yes, they are trying to crowd fund a player and I wonder whether this should become an option in a future FM game if it catches on. I despise it to be honest but this could become a thing for cash strapped clubs (of which there are many at the moment) no matter how unethical it is.

I'm not talking about higher ticket prices by the way, it's straight up crowd funding in the style of Kickstarter or similar websites with rewards and everything.

Now how would this work in gameplay? I guess you could choose crowd funding as the payment option when you make a bid, you set a time limit and then it depends on your fans. There is already a system in place that determines whether your fans like or dislike a player when you sign him. I guess a prestigious, media friendly player would be easier to sign than someone with a terrible reputation. If you don't manage to fund the player entirely through crowd funding within the given time frame you should be able to pay the remaining amount yourself using the options we're all familiar with.

I guess it could work in gameplay. Now the question is whether this will stay a one time thing or whether it will catch on and become a popular way of financing transfers.

I read the title and thought fan refunds for poor performances.

I don't see how fan funded transfers could possibly be implemented in a way that made any sense in FM.

On a side note, nice to see fans doing this irl.

I doubt it would ever catch on to an extent where it could even be considered as a feature. If, somehow, it did, I wouldn't wish it to be an avenue that we could influence. Perhaps, there could be a very small chance that a team with a very large, loyal fanbase might "invest", but only after a deal collapses because there isn't enough funds, and only under the sanction of a chairman with the right stats. In essence, the chance would have to be absolutely miniscule.

Archived