After a MLS guide

Thanks - this is the best one I've found so far. One thing I'm struggling to grasp is how are the Adidas Generation players intergrated into the roster? How do you offer those contracts out etc?

Also, what exactly is a Senior Development contract?

Finally how do the rights work? Players rights are held by clubs to certain dates.

Hopefully someone can answer these - thanks!

1. Generation Adidas players have their contracts paid entirely by the league (and Adidas, in real life.) They won't count against your team salary cap, until you offer them a new contract. They also don't count towards your developmental slots (6) or your senior slots (20) if I'm not mistaken.

2. Developmental contracts can only be offered to players under the age of 24, and don't count against the cap (and also have a set wage that increases slightly each year.) Each team is limited to 6 of them, including any AA (homegrown) players that are kept on the squad (you usually get 3 or 4 at the end of each season.)

3. Player rights prevent other teams from signing your released players, unless they provide you some sort of compensation. I forget the exact criteria that is used, though.

Archived