Getting rid of a player

I'm currently playing a save as Truro, got back to back promotions from BSS and BSP but now just starting my 3rd season in League 2 which is proving too hard to get out of. A season ago, I thought rather than get 7 or 8 promising youngsters as I had been doing, I would spend a bit more of my budget on someone with a better current rating, so got a 23 yeard old CM with a 4.5 star current ability rating, but had to blow most of my wage budget on him, costing me £2k per week then, my next highest wage is £800pw! That then went up to £2,500 after 20 games, and up to £3,000 at the end of the season.

The problem is, he's been playing awfully! I tried moulding the whole team around him, but he's just playing badly every game. Average last season of 6.64 from 37 league games with 1 goal and 3 assists, despite me finished one place away from the playoffs. He's set to be a ball winning midfielder as per all of my coaches reccomendations.

So I'm trying to offload him either for free to other clubs or on loan, but nobody's interested! He's crippling my wage budget though, I managed to get about 4 youngsters at the end of the season, none of whom have that high current rating, and I just don't know how to get rid of him. He's here for another 2 years and his wages are going to go up another 20% each year, so by the end he'll be on about £4500!!??

Any tips on how I can get shot of him, I have 1 week until the end of the transfer window!

I'm afraid you're stuck with him Jonas, just keep him on transfer/loan list and make the best of him while he's there until someone willing to pick him up... I have a suggestion but it's a long shot. As far as I know this game has insurance on players? I don't know if smaller club have it too, but you could try it out since you need to get him out anyway... train him to max to increase his injury chance, and tell him to tackle hard since hard tackling increases the chance to receive injury too.... it's an evil plan >:) but hey...

I'm afraid you're stuck with him Jonas, just keep him on transfer/loan list and make the best of him while he's there until someone willing to pick him up... I have a suggestion but it's a long shot. As far as I know this game has insurance on players? I don't know if smaller club have it too, but you could try it out since you need to get him out anyway... train him to max to increase his injury chance, and tell him to tackle hard since hard tackling increases the chance to receive injury too.... it's an evil plan >:) but hey...

I have done similar but to keep a player rather than sell him. Javier Saviola (CM 01/02 i think) had agreed to sign for Real Madrid from my Liverpool side. I didnt want him to leave so i tried to cripple him so that he would fail his medical. I had him playing in about 40 pre season frendlies at RB with forward runs to LW/Striker position. Hard Tackling and High Closing Down. I managed to get his fitness down to about 9%. But he just kept going!! Argies are made of stern stuff!

Re the OP. If you are unable to offload him to another club you are going to have to pay his wages one way or another, you are probably just bet releasing him.

Have you tried to negotiate a new contract with him with an end date for the end of the season? Perhaps if you offer him more than he earns now he'll accept. Or you can atleast try and lower his yearly wage increase from 25% to 10%?

If I was in your situation, I'd keep playing him. Perhaps he hasn't gelled in yet with the rest of the squad due to low adaptability? Atleast playing him would keep him in the picture as a transfer option for other clubs as long as his stats keep improving slightly.

Clubs often tend to show interrest at the end / start of the season. Not nessecarily halfway through the season.

I've had two players myself which I couldn't get rid off, even when offering them to other clubs for nothing. In the end they both left when their contracts ran out, but I never ended up in the situation where it completely drained my wage budget.

So, let me see if I get this.

You can't sell a player who is performing badly and has wages that are very high for the division you are in.

Excuse me if I don't see a problem.

Good point, but I don't think he said it is a problem (i.e. some sort of a bug). He just wants an advice on how to offload him.

Good point, but I don't think he said it is a problem (i.e. some sort of a bug). He just wants an advice on how to offload him.

Exactly, I wasn't criticising the game, I was criticising my poor managerial decision.

I did try LeBaiton's suggestion of a new contract, but as I'd told him he was rubbish and not wanted, he didn't want to listen surprisingly!!! Oh well, live and learn.

Don't think there's a solution....

An overpaid underperformer will rarely attract interest ;)

Same-divison clubs won't make an offer for a player who's been average or below average

Higher-division clubs won't invest a penny on a player who's been barely adequate at a lower level

Lower-division clubs can't probably afford his wage

I've had similar problems offloading average rotation players/backups despite them being on an average wage for the league...

Lower the asking price, keep on playing him and hope for the best... If nothing changes, just let the contract run out

I've found that when performing contract negotiations at LLC it's best to 'lock' the basic wage at a satisfactory level and bulk out his offer with clauses he probably won't ever get. For example make it so his wages get increased to 2k if he gets an international cap or if he's a defender give him a 100k bonus for hitting 30 goals in a season. Also giving a star player a 'minimum release to higher clubs' clause in their contract lowers their wage demands considerably.

I had the same thing with Kieran Dyer and SWP when I started my QPR game.

A lot of teams were actually interested but couldn't match their high wages. I managed to loan Dyer out on about 50% wages, but just had to let their contracts run out.

try putting him in the u18's (away from the first team) and just keep upsetting him.. i done this with danny fox at southampton and even got rid of the g!t on mutual termination without having to pay ANY compensation..

Archived