Am I right to feel nervous...?

So brief recap on my situation.

2011 - 2012 - Started my career at Preston. Reached playoffs, but didn't get to the final (was deemed a successful season). Started work on inplementing a youth policy at club.

2012-2013 Good start to the season but a drop in form saw us dip from 2nd to just outside the playoffs... was sacked in November.

2012-2013 Offered Derby job (also in L1) sat below Preston in 10th. Expectation was promotion but board said they wouldnt judge me on this. Got promoted on the final game of this season.

2013-2014 Derby now in Championship. Have snapped up a load of youngsters and am working ruddy hard to use a Wenger style youth policy. Somehow (and Im still not sure how) we get promoted (again in last game of season)!

So my dilemma, we are still at the end of season and the world cup has just started so I have had no Premiership cash injections. We are currently 4m in debt (not my doing may I add as I always stay within wage budget and never spend big) but my board have given me 11m to spend. I am soooooo nervous about spending this money it is untrue. Just one signing could make or break our 1st Prem season. I think I have decided to plough it all into the wage budget as I am really wary of spending 11m on top of the 4m in debt.

Anyways, just thought I'd get a feel of whether I'm right to feel nervous? I just don't want to waste money on overinflated prices just because I'mn now a Prem team. And being a Spurs supporter it is actually killing me that I understand where Arsene is coming from... what have I become????

Wouldn't worry about it if I was you. You'll get £20m-odd over the course of the season from TV money, plus a good few mil in prize money at the end of the season if you managed to stay up. You should also rake in a few million from season ticket sales, so the debt should be managable.

If the debts get too much, your board will probably just provide a cash injection to help for the time being. It's very rare that a team, especially in the Prem, will go into financial meltdown on FM.

The OPs situation is when I find FM is at it's most interesting.

As other posters have said, don't worry too much about the debt as that will probably be cleared by TV money and prize money - unless you have some horrible loans in place.

In my first season in the Premiership with Pompey I started with the balance at £10million in the red and I had a £5million pound transfer budget. You can buy some decent enough players for not too much - you just need to survive that first year. I managed to come 9th and my £10million debt became £6million in the black.

Don't be afraid to use some older players; their mental attributes should help you survive and often you only need to sign them on a one year contract - just enough to survive and it gives you an extra year to get your youth signings ready.

i was ina bad state whe i first entered the prmire with staines. no money and a team that really should not have been up there. So I deicded to buy a striker with high pace and then the rest in to the defence. as longas you can make minimum 27 point you should be able to stay up for the year.

Thank you for all of your inputs and advice. I am thinking of going down the good striker route (although my two have been prolific I just can't see them sustaining that in the PL... but shhh, don't tell THEM that). I am just determined not to get the club into proper strife... I am apparently quite attached to them. I turned down the West Ham (2 seasons in the PL and finished 11th last yr) job just because I felt I had started a project at Derby in terms of developing my youth side. I normally don't change jobs because I find it hard work learning all my new players, but this time I feel a funny feeling... loyalty I believe it is called, and it is this loyalty to my youth scheme, my philosophy for this save that is holding me back from spending the big money (although 11mil is hardly big by todays standards eh????)

Archived