Goalkeeper Ratings

What am I doing wrong that's making my goalies always get low ratings?! I don't know about anyone else, but I have a self-set benchmark of 7 being the average rating. Now in all of my games, however well I do, I never seem to get a goalie who gets a rating over 7? Im not just talking about one career, but multiples different careers. Whether its a £15mill goalie in the prem, or a free goalie in the Blue Square, whether I've won, lost or drawn, my goalie will end up with a 6.6 - 6.8 typically, of course I very occasionally do get high ratings, but not compared to how the rest of my team are rated or compared to how many goals he concedes?!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this, I think it also ends up affecting nominations for player awards as well?

Could it be that the keeper doesn't need to make many saves? Do you get many shots against your keeper or can he sit back smoking his pipe the whole game while your team controls the match? In my experience, the GK will only have a higher rating than 7 if the opposing team has had many shots against us.

What kensteid said, if your gk face only a handful of shots then don't expect him to have a great rating :p. Also the quality of saves that your gk make counts (as far as I can tell anyway), a clear cut chance that he save will help his rating up more than a soft long range shot that any goalie would've save

Basically what the others before me have said. Even if you're winning every match with a clean sheet, if he only makes one save then he'll get a low rating. This has the annoying knock-on effect of having your coaches tell you the keeper should be dropped for poor form, even when he may not have conceded in 5 games. Happens at EVERY meeting.

Sometimes my team blasts the other keeper with a dangerous shot every few minutes through the whole match and he still ends up with 6.5 or something. Other times he ends up with 9.5 in the same scenario. Look at pass completion ratio - if it is high your keeper will get 7.0+ consistently, if it is low no amount of fantastic saves will give him a good rating...

Well, you can of course set him to pass to a specific player instead of making long kicks up the field. The minute i did this, my keeper's pass completion ratio went from 30-55 to 80-90% in his stats, which is better than most players. This didn't dramatically improve his ratings, but it stopped the opposition from getting a bonus 10-15 opportunities to build attacks each game.

Archived